Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Turkey’s Kurdish lawmaker Nursel Aydogan sentenced to almost 5 years in prison

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Turkey’s Kurdish lawmaker Nursel Aydogan sentenced to almost 5 years in prison Empty Turkey’s Kurdish lawmaker Nursel Aydogan sentenced to almost 5 years in prison

Post by Rocky Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:46 am

Turkey’s Kurdish lawmaker Nursel Aydogan sentenced to almost 5 years in prison
    Posted on January 14, 2017 by Editorial Staff in 1 Top NewsKurdistanPolitics
    Turkey’s Kurdish lawmaker Nursel Aydogan sentenced to almost 5 years in prison Turkeys-Kurdish-HDP-lawmaker-Nursel-Aydogan-2016-haberdiyarbakir-gen-tr
    Turkey’s Kurdish HDP lawmaker Nursel Aydogan. Photo: haberdiyarbakir.gen.tr

DIYARBAKIR-AMED, Turkey’s Kurdish region,— A Kurdish lawmaker in Turkey’s parliament from the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) has been sentenced to almost 5 years in prison, on charges of committing crimes on behalf of PKK organization.
    Nursel Aydogan was sentenced to 4.8 years in prison by Diyarbakir’s 2nd High Penal Court in Turkey’s Kurdish region in the country’s southeast.
    Aydogan had stood trial on charges of conducting activities on behalf of a terrorist organization without being a member.

The lawmaker had denied the charges and had responded to accusations of her attendance at the funeral of a PKK guerrilla.
    Aydogan was found in violation of Article 2911 which relates to illegal public gatherings.
    “I am still an MP and my legal immunity still stands in many respects,” Aydogan stated in court. “That is why I have the right to be allowed to be present at the parliament and participate in the voting process which is directly related to the future of the Turkish nation. I cannot be prevented from doing so due to legal proceedings.”
    On November 4, 2016, Aydogan along with 11 Kurdish HDP lawmakers, including the two co-leaders, Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yuksekdag, were arrested on charges of links to the PKK which they deny.
    In May, parliament voted to strip lawmakers of their legal immunity, paving the way for the HDP legislators’ arrests.
    Thousands of officials from the HDP have been detained since 2015. Turkey detained over 200 HDP members in December 2016..
    The government accuses the HDP of having links to the PKK, a charge that the HDP denies.
    The PKK took up arms in 1984 against the Turkish state, which still denies the constitutional existence of Kurds, to push for greater autonomy for the Kurdish minority who make up around 22.5 million of the country’s 79-million population.
    A large Kurdish community in Turkey and worldwide openly sympathise with PKK rebels and Abdullah Ocalan, who founded the PKK group in 1974, and has a high symbolic value for most Kurds in Turkey and worldwide according to observers.
    Since July 2015, Turkey initiated a controversial military campaign against the PKK in the country’s southeastern Kurdish region after Ankara ended a two-year ceasefire agreement. Since the beginning of the campaign, Ankara has imposed several round-the-clock curfews, preventing civilians from fleeing regions where the military operations are being conducted.
    Observers say the crackdown has taken a heavy toll on the Kurdish civilian population and accuse Turkey of using collective punishment against the minority.

http://ekurd.net/turkey-kurdish-aydogan-prison-2017-01-14

Current date/time is Mon 18 Mar 2024, 9:40 pm