Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Leafs come back to beat Sabres, Rielly injured

jedi17
    jedi17

Leafs come back to beat Sabres, Rielly injured Empty Leafs come back to beat Sabres, Rielly injured

Post by jedi17 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm

Leafs come back to beat Sabres, Rielly injured
    January 17, 2017, 11:27 PM ET [686 Comments]
    Mike Augello
    Leafs come back to beat Sabres, Rielly injured Tor Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    For the latest Leafs updates or  on Twitter

The Toronto Maple Leafs rallied from a two-goal deficit with three second-period goals and James van Riemsdyk’s power play game-winner in a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres at Air Canada Center on Tuesday. 

The win, the first in regulation for Toronto at home since November 26th, was overshadowed by the loss of defenseman Morgan Rielly, who did not return to the game after being injured in the first period. 

Rielly awkwardly fell after being check by Buffalo forward William Carrier in the first period and limped to the Toronto bench. The 22-year-old blueliner, who along with defense partner Nikita Zaitsev lead the Leafs in ice time with over 22 minutes per game, went to the locker room after returning to the ice to test out his leg and did not return to the game. 

Buffalo took advantage of a sluggish start by the Leafs, who surrendered the opening goal on a careless clearing attempt by goalie Frederik Andersen that Kyle Okposo converted for his 13th goal of the season. Evander Kane extended the lead to 2-0 with his 12th of the year in the final minute of the first.

The Leafs rebounded quickly, as Leo Komarov drove to the net and deflected a Nazem Kadri pass past Sabres goalie Robin Lehner 32 seconds into the middle frame. Matt Martin scored an ugly goal from an odd angle that dribbled through Lehner’s pads to tie it and Auston Matthews notched his 22nd of the year to give Toronto a lead they would not relinquish. 

Van Riemsdyk added his 16th of the season with the man advantage in the third, but Carrier narrowed the margin to 4-3 with 2:23 left in regulation, batting a Zemgus Girgensons pass out of mid-air past Andersen. 

Rielly’s ice time was divvied up mostly between Jake Gardiner and Matt Hunwick. Gardiner(29:24) and Hunwick (27:32) each reached their season-high in TOI, while Roman Polak played over 20 minutes on the night. 

“[Rielly] is a huge factor. We've had lots of success this year with no injuries. Our medical staff has done a real nice job, but injuries wear you down.” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the game. “What happens when you get injured is you play fewer guys more and it usually leads to more. We've got to manage this well. I don't know if he's out a week or 10 days or a month. I don't have a clue.”

Babcock indicated that the club’s medical staff did not know the extent of Rielly’s injury, but that more would be known after he is checked out on Wednesday. 

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 3:54 am