Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Leafs in position A: Flames vs Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Leafs in position A: Flames vs Leafs Empty Leafs in position A: Flames vs Leafs

Post by jedi17 Mon 23 Jan 2017, 2:51 pm

Leafs in position A: Flames vs Leafs
    January 23, 2017, 9:05 AM ET [172 Comments]
    Lucas Neilson
    Leafs in position A: Flames vs Leafs Tor Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    With All-Star weekend approaching the Maple Leafs are one of six teams that play in this shortened week. It’s an important one for Toronto as they are right on the playoff bubble but with games in hand on teams around them.  

The Maple Leafs begins their three games in four night’s escapade tonight when they host the Calgary Flames. Toronto is coming off an overtime loss against the Senators on Saturday and Calgary has lost two in a row and holds a record of 4-5-1 in their last ten games played.  

The scoring has been somewhat spread out for the Flames as Mikael Backlund leads in points with 33. Monahan, Tkachuk and Hamilton all have 30 points and Frolik and Gaudreau are just a point behind with 29.

The Maple Leafs scoring is high this year with the influx of rookies. Leading the Leafs at this point in the season is Matthews and vanRiemsdyk with 38 points. Marner sits just one point behind the leaders followed by Kadri(31), Bozak(30), and Nylander(29).  

To give you an idea of how many goals the Leafs are scoring, they have played five games less than Calgary but have scored six more goals.  

It seems the Leafs biggest problems are shutting down games in the third period when holding a lead and of course winning in shootouts.  

Not bad considering last year it was scoring goals, special teams and saving pucks (or beach balls). The Leafs didn’t have any leads to blow last year, nor did they have to worry about shootouts.  

When you think about the improvements overall, Toronto really is in position A this year. A competitive team that us fans are proud of, games are worth investing three hours of your life into. Most importantly there is restored hope in Leafs Nation, something that was lacking over the last handful of years; so many that I’d rather not get into the fine details!

It’s looking like the Leafs will be getting their backup goalie McElhinney back in action this week when Toronto has back-to-back games against Detroit and Philadelphia. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see Babcock play Andersen against his former team in the Red Wings and let McElhinney deal with the Flyers before the break. You know Babs loves beating his former team, especially since the Wings are on the outside looking in.

Looks like Babcock leaving the Detroit Red Wings was a wise decision as the Maple Leafs are starting to soar and the Wings are stuck in the deep fryer. It’s as if Babcock knew the ink was drying up in the squids and saw an opportunity to grow with the Maple Leafs in their most needed time. Shanahan showed Babcock a vision and it seems that it was enough to excite Mike Babcock who knows the legacy that would be with him if he could take the Leafs to the promise land.

Trust me; Babcock needs that salary per year, with the amount of gum or whatever he is chewing on the bench. It never has a chance to run out of flavor before Babs disposes of it. Top that with the job he’s doing coaching these young guns into stellar NHL players and voila; here we are ready to make a run at second place in the Division.  

Mike Babcock is worth every penny.

There are big decisions for management ahead. The Leafs obviously need to shore up their blue-line and they need to go about it the most logical way and get the perfect fit. Zaitsev was a golden egg plucked out of the KHL, but the Leafs need at least one more quality defender before they will be able to contend with the big dogs. I’m really hoping they drafted one of them and are going to be trading or signing a free agent defenseman that fits the bill.

Without question the Maple Leafs will be putting a lot of thought into improving their defense over the summer.

Let’s see how the boys in blue and white play this week before Auston Matthews represents the Maple Leafs in his rookie season at All-Star weekend.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:51 pm