Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New Jersey Devils

jedi17
    jedi17

New Jersey Devils Empty New Jersey Devils

Post by jedi17 Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:56 pm

One step forward, another step back
    February 20, 2017, 10:37 AM ET [18 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    New Jersey Devils Nj New Jersey Devils Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

On Saturday, the New Jersey Devils made up some ground on the New York Islanders, and other teams they're chasing, by picking up a big two points.

On Sunday, the Devils gave those points right back as they (shockingly) couldn't overcome allowing six goals in regulation.

A few thoughts:

1) Keith Kinkaid was not good in this game. He allowed at least a couple goals he'd want back and never really looked comfortable. Even when he made a save of the year caliber stop, he didn't look confident or in control. There was a lot of scramble in his game. Kinkaid was far from the only player at fault, but he essentially submarined any chance the Devils had of winning as every time they crawled back into the game he faltered. 

At least he gave the world this save.

2) John Hynes has taken some heat for giving Kinkaid the nod in goal last night but I don't have a problem with the decision. Goaltender performance typically goes down in the latter half of a back-to-back and, prior to last night, Kinkaid had solid numbers on the year. Going with the rested guy made sense. 

Also, the Islanders were starting J.F. Berube, who owns a .899 save percentage on the year, so the Devils figured to have the leg up in goal even without Schneider. It didn't work out that way, however, I can certainly see the logic behind the decision. 

3) When I said Kinkaid wasn't the only guy at fault for the loss, I wasn't just being nice. The Devils didn't exactly play a perfect game. There were a lot of poor individual performances and it added up.

If it felt like Taylor Hall, Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri were the only ones doing anything, that's because they were. That line was in on three of the four goals and they were fantastic at 5v5.

With Hall on the ice, the Devils out-attempted the Isles 21-9 (+12). Without Hall on the ice, the Devils were out-attempted 53-20 (-33). This is just one example, obviously, but it helps illustrate how ridiculous it is when people make a point about Hall playing on another losing team as if he is part of the problem.

4) I think it's safe to say Mike Cammalleri will return to the lineup next time out. Hynes was just sending a message in the first game, and a lot of coaches are hesitant to make lineup changes following a win, which is likely why Cammalleri sat out again on Sunday.

As bad as Cammalleri is struggling -- he has one goal in his last 33 games -- his points per game pace in that span is still much higher than Devante Smith-Pelly's on the season. Smith-Pelly really struggles in possession, too, and last night was a perfect example of that.

5) Joseph Blandisi played 13:16, the most in any game since he was recalled, and chipped in offensively with a goal and two shots. Hopefully, he continues to hold a spot in the lineup down the stretch and is given a legitimate chance to play. I think he provides a spark for this team and, if not anything else, it's nice to see some youth play meaningful minutes when the team isn't going anywhere.

Current date/time is Mon 18 Mar 2024, 10:35 pm