Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Anaheim Ducks

jedi17
    jedi17

Anaheim Ducks Empty Anaheim Ducks

Post by jedi17 Tue 21 Feb 2017, 9:08 pm

Ducks Deadline Countdown + Vermette Hearing Date
    February 21, 2017, 5:44 PM ET [18 Comments]
    Ed Stein
     Anaheim Ducks Ana Anaheim Ducks Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Tick Tock

Eight days to go before the clock strikes noon (PST) on the trade deadline. This year there may be more mitigating factors to making a trade than in years past. The Ducks are first and foremost up against the cap ceiling both now and next year. Then there is the expansion draft, teams across the league are finalizing their plans on who to protect and who to leave exposed. Finally, GM Bob Murray said last week he won't trade his young talent for a deadline rental, but he would trade those young players in “hockey” deal. Which brings the conversation full to the the opening point.

Targeting Mode Activated

Here are some players or deals should Murray be looking at.

Clayton Stoner is nearing a return to action. When he comes back, the $3.25M in long term cap relief goes back on the books. That can't happen. Anaheim can't afford him. They can't even afford to send him to the minors when he clears waivers, because that move opens up less than $1M. As I've written before this one is easy. The Rangers need a big physical defenseman. That need becomes bigger if they can finally move out Dan Girardi. The GM should take back Tanner Glass and move on. Glass would probably be sent down to save money, but he would be an upgrade over Jared Boll if he stayed.

As has been argued ad nauseum, this team needs a left wing. Ek reported today that the Ducks are definitely in on Gabriel Landeskog. Conversely, Colorado is interested in Sami Vatanen coming back their way. Why not expand the deal a bit and bring in SoCal's own Matt Nieto? He would also be an upgrade to the fourth line. While in Colorado, John Mitchell for Nate Thompson is intriguing. Mitchell is better in the faceoff circle and PK, while Thompson provides a bit more offense centering a fourth line.

John van Reimsdyk's name constantly comes up as a trade target. I for one would love to have him. The hitch on acquiring JvR from Toronto is that his contract expires after next year. Does Murray consider dealing Vatanen for 1 1/3 seasons of JvR a hockey deal?

Detroit is a seller at the deadline. Left wing Thomas Vanek is having a resurgent season, but his $2.6M expiring contract doesn't lend itself as a fit under the cap nor will Murray give up anyone the Wings would want in return.

What would the Islanders give up for an established puck moving defenseman like Vatanen. He and Nick Leddy could be a great one, two combo on the blue line. Ryan Strome, the former 5th overall draft pick in 2011, would look great in a Ducks uniform.

Tampa Bay's Jonathan Drouin may also be available in the right deal. He has enough electricity in his stick to light up the town. Unfortunately, the young left wing doesn't have the best of reputations. Its a tough trade to gauge. In my opinion, Drouin is worth more than Shea Theodore, but not as much as Vatanen. I could see a deal such as Vatanen and a minor prospect for Drouin and say Cedric Paquette or JT Brown. A player they can control, but not have to protect in the expansion draft.

What If?

I'm just throwing this situation out. What if Murray can't find a deal he likes and/or deems that this team isn't built for a long playoff run? He could trade some veterans without blowing up the team. Would Murray sell off Cogliano and Vermette for high draft picks? Moving out those two players opens $4.7M in cap space next season. It would be enough to sign a quality free agent in the off-season.

Speak and You Shall be Heard

Sportsnet reports Antoine Vermette's hearing to appeal his 10 game suspension will happen Thursday morning in New York. Analyst Doug MacLean believes the suspension will be cut to five games. He has already missed three games, so if MacLean is right, Vermette's suspension ends after the Kings game Saturday night. After that the Ducks have their five day break, so he will be ready to go on March 3rd against Toronto.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 3:11 am