Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings  Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

Smith wonders what future holds for him
    February 22, 2017, 5:03 PM ET [9 Comments]
    Bob Duff
     Detroit Red Wings  Det Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Defenseman Brendan Smith left Wednesday for a brief vacation during the Detroit Red Wings’ bye week and part of him wondered whether he’d still be a Red Wing when he gets back.

“I’m not sure,” Smith admitted when asked about his NHL future. “Basically my whole thing is I’m just going to keep trying to play and get better and try to help the team win. But I have no idea. 

“I think that stuff is all situational with how the league’s going and how teams are winning and if we keep winning.”

Word around the league is that the Wings, who are nine points out of a playoff position, have moved into selling mode as the March 1 NHL trade deadline fast approaches and Smith, an impending unrestricted free agent, is one of the names on the list of names they have on the market.

“It’s always nice to have a deal,” Smith said of his uncertain contract status. “If you have a contract, it’s always nice to know that you’re not unemployed after the year. I’d like to have a contract but that’s kind of up in the air and just how things go. 

“I know that teams are looking for players. There’s all this talk and stuff. I don’t want to speculate in any way because it’s too hard for me to know. But I’m just going to keep going. What I do know is I’m here and I’m playing and I’m just going to do that.”

Smith planned to visit his brother, Florida Panthers forward Reilly Smith, during the break, all the while keeping one eye on the hockey news of that day to see if he is involved in any transactions.

“That’s the plan,” Smith said. “I’m going to go to Florida, Ft. Lauderdale and probably see my brother a couple times, so that’ll be good to hang out there and what happens, happens.

“I’m just trying to get away and relax and get away from hockey during that time. I won’t really think about it too much. Obviously if something happens, my agent will let me know or I’ll see it on social media. You guys (media) are pretty quick on it. 

“Other than that, I just try to get ready to be a Wing and be ready to play and go about it like that. It’s all speculation. I don’t know if anything happens. I don’t really have an answer for you guys.”

Like Thomas Vanek, another Wing who will become an unrestricted free agency at season’s end and someone frequently mentioned in trade talk, Smith’s preference would be to remain a Wing but understands that choice is out of his hands.

“I only know Red Wings hockey and I like it,” Smith said. “I’ve loved every moment here, good and bad. They’ve made me a better player. I would like to continue to stay on the Wing path, but like I said, this is a business and you never know what happens.”

One person Smith plans to consult on this issue is his brother, who has been traded twice during his NHL career.

“I think if that were ever to happen, it’s worked out well for my little brother and he’s given me some good insight in that case,” Smith said. “He’s done well in both times he’s been traded. So if I ever had to ask questions, I think he’d be able to tell me all the ins and outs. 

“Really I’m hoping to kind of stick around and see how everything goes but whatever happens, happens.”

Wings coach Jeff Blashill understands how this time of year can impact players.

“I’m certainly aware of the fact that these guys are humans and these are parts of being a professional hockey player that I don’t think is always recognized from the outside looking in, that this type of stuff happens,” Blashill said. “Contract years can be a factor in people’s minds at times. Trade deadline can be a factor in people’s minds. 

“The biggest thing we try to preach all the time is to control what you can control. The best thing for Brendan Smith is to play the best hockey he can play. That’s the No. 1 thing, both for our hockey team and for himself, so let’s make sure we continue to focus on what we can control.”

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:00 am