Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Edmonton Oilers

jedi17
    jedi17

Edmonton Oilers Empty Edmonton Oilers

Post by jedi17 Wed 22 Feb 2017, 8:42 pm

G61 Oilers vs Panthers: Larsson Lost
    February 22, 2017, 1:37 PM ET [166 Comments]
    Matt Henderson
    Edmonton Oilers Edm Edmonton Oilers Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    That was pretty awful. I’m particularly unimpressed with the bad first periods in recent games. The Oilers should not be getting out-shot 2:1 just because it’s the 1st period and the guys have to ease their way into the game. We are 60 games into the season. That’s not a coaching thing. By now the message is clear: It’s a 60 minute game. Players who dilly-dally through the 1st period are quickly wearing on my nerves.

The club lost Adam Larsson in the 3rd period and reports are that his back started seizing up on him. It is unlikely that he’ll play tonight given the injury. It’s a shame because he and Klefbom were easily the best Oiler pair. Klefbom is a trooper, but Larsson’s steady, defense-first game allows Oscar to play a more offensive role without worrying too much about whether he’s heaping too much pressure on his partner.

I like Adam Larsson. I think he’s strong, well-positioned, and mean. He does not play a flashy game and I don’t particularly think there’s a lot of offense that’s going to develop from him. However, I do think he was getting more comfortable with the puck on his stick and that’s a good thing. If all he does is play solid defense and make a decent first pass then that’s enough most nights. 

Adam Larsson actually has more points 5v5 than Shea Weber, so…there’s that. The difference is that almost all of Larsson’s even strength offense comes from secondary assists. 9 of his 10 assists are secondary. That’s just a little extra context that you might want to know before you wag his scoring in the face of Habs fans. 

On paper, one might believe that Larsson is Edmonton’s 2D, with Klefbom as the number 1. In practice, however, Larsson is the 4D for the Oilers. This is based squarely on his usage by Todd McLellan. He’s playing the 4th most per game on this defense at 20:16 a night. Klefbom, Sekera, and Russell all play more than him and in that order. 

If we break it down to game states, Larsson plays the 2nd most time at Even Strength (18:23), the 4th most on the PK (1:41), and the 6th most on the PP (0:11). Russell plays more than Larsson in every single game state. Direct your rage towards Todd McLellan if that is as frustrating to you as it is to me. In any event, losing Larsson isn’t really about the minutes he plays so much as his role in those minutes. In short, I think Benning will struggle to fill his boots more than filling Russell’s when Russell was out.

LINEUP

Larsson is likely out. Gryba In.

Maroon McDavid Eberle
    Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev
    Caggiula RNH Kassian
    Khaira Letestu Pakarinen

Klefbom Benning
    Sekera Russell
    Davidson Gryba

Talbot
    Brossoit

OILERS KEYS TO THE GAME

1) Wake Up. The game against the Lightning was awful. There was no excuse to come out after being rested and play like that in front of your backup goaltender. They needed to be sharp right from the get-go, and they weren’t. Edmonton has to show up tonight. They have to start by setting the pace early. The team isn’t so great that they can give away periods of play and expect to win. They are good enough to set the tempo early, but that has to come from more than just McDavid. Edmonton is 15th in 1st period scoring. They jump to 6th in the 2nd period, then fall back to 15th in the 3rd period. In terms of goals against, they climb up the rankings in each period. The 1st period is their worst (19th fewest allowed). In the 2nd period they jump to 11th fewest allowed. And, in the 3rd period they allow the 3rd fewest goals against. That 1st period has to improve.

2) Barkov. Aleksander Barkov doesn’t lead the Fancy Cats in scoring, but that’s only because he’s missed 15 games this season. He leads the Panthers in points per game (0.81), Points per 60 minutes 5v5 (2.16), Corsi For (56.1%), and Fenwick (54.6%). He’s a 6’3”, 213 pound centre who can move pretty well, drive possession, and score. He’s a 1C in this league and without a doubt he’s going to be a handful to contain. He’s only 21 years old, so the Panther pivot has a lot of years ahead of him and I’m happy the Oilers don’t have to play him much being as that he’s stuck in the East. If there’s one name I circle on the Panthers, it’s Barkov. 

3) The Mulleted One. Now, if there’s a SECOND name I circle on the Panthers, it’s Jaromir Jagr. He is a legend – one of the greatest ever. He is 2nd all-time for Points in league history at 1902. He’ll never catch Gretzky, but he doesn’t have to in order to be a walk-in Hall of Famer. He played the bulk of his career in a dead-puck era where scoring died. He had to fight through the Hatchers and the Footes of the NHL to put up his points and he still broke the 100 point plateau 5 times and was in the 90’s another 5 times. He’s been abusing the Oilers forever. He has 41 points in 37 career games against the Oilers including an assist from earlier this year. Please make him stop, but not forever, just for tonight.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 3:58 am