Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Winnipeg Jets

jedi17
    jedi17

Winnipeg Jets  Empty Winnipeg Jets

Post by jedi17 Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Take Aways from Leafs 5-4 OT win
    February 22, 2017, 9:56 AM ET [57 Comments]
    Peter Tessier
     Winnipeg Jets  Win Winnipeg Jets Blogger • Winnipeg Jets Writer • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Before the game I had my doubts about how the Jets would perform in their second meeting this season. It was the 4th game of a road trip right before their mandated break of 6 days. They had lost Jacob Trouba for the game and were already nursing a depleted blue line and then they gave the Leafs a one-goal lead.

They came back though and again and again to take the lead but never hold it. They were lucky. The Leafs controlled the play and fired everything and the kitchen sink at Connor Hellebuyck. Had he even been close average they Jets might have had a chance. The same goes for the Freddy Andersen, who was even worse then Hellebuyc,k but had no excuse as to shot or shot attempt volume thrown at him. The Leafs, much like the Jets are a victim of what comes after the forwards. As their defence and goaltending goes as do their fortunes.

As for Laine vs Matthews. Call it a draw they both were relatively silent until they did something. Two goal vs three assists. It's a shame they don't see each other more often.

There were some dumb plays by both teams and usual suspects Kadri and Byfuglien played a role. When Buff decided to fight Martin at the end of the second to leave Morrissey as the lone capable defence man was the turning point. He was the last guy the Jets could afford to lose for 5 minutes due to fighting. Then Kadri who came after Buff while the play was still going on and had Laine's shot deflect off his leg and past Andersen while he paid not attention. I'm not even going to try and understand what Buff was doing in OT when he simply left Matthews alone- that was a more costly error than the five for fighting.

As for his hit on Chiarot. I suspect nothing will happen because Ben got up but again, it you want to keep players safe you stop the charging and launching that Kadri did. He made clannish contact but clearly launched. That hit might not get so much notice if the DOPS had not ignored Malkin and because of that low bar standard I'd expect nothing to happen.

Nylander had himself a game and looked very dangerous on the PP. Ehlers was strong too and finally got some luck getting his first goal in 8 games, his 20th for the year.  

One thing the Jets coaches could take away from the game was how the Leafs pressured the puck and the Jets players all night. It was a relentless pursuit of them and puck and much of the time the visitors were simply hanging on between whistles. Put Trouba in, Enstrom too and perhaps that changes a bit but when it comes to forwards the Leafs were out working the Jets in most facets of the game.  

The break for Winnipeg can't come soon enough and while some would offer that the Jets would rather have the rest coming into the stretch it makes little difference when you are ground down to nothing because of the late start and condensed schedule.  

The upside is the Jets took 6 of 8 points on this road trip. Who saw that coming? However, it could have been 8 if the Jets had a bit of luck. That's a good thing, the bad thing is what team wants to stop playing when good things are starting to happen?

Enjoy the 6 days off.

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am