Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs  Empty Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by jedi17 Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

The tough road ahead, Leafs vs Rangers 
    February 23, 2017, 5:11 PM ET [256 Comments]
    Mike Augello
    Toronto Maple Leafs  Tor Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    For the latest Leafs updates or Follow @mikeinbuffalo on Twitter

The Toronto Maple Leafs got some help on the out-of-town scoreboard on Wednesday, as the Florida Panthers, Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins all lost in regulation and did not gain any ground in the battle for an Eastern Conference playoff spot.

The Leafs have just a one point lead on the Panthers, Bruins and NY Islanders and will need to step up their effort through a difficult stretch of the schedule, starting with a contest with the New York Rangers at Air Canada Center on Thursday.

It is the rubber match between the two squads, as Toronto won 4-2 at Madison Square Garden on January 13 and New York responded six days later with a 5-2 victory at ACC. 

Following Thursday, the Leafs play the first place Montreal Canadiens at ACC on Saturday, before heading to California to play San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim in the span of four days. If Toronto gets through this stretch in the same position as they are now, their chances of making the post-season will increase dramatically. 

Toronto will be without defensemen Connor Carrick (day-to-day - upper body injury) and Mitch Marner, who will miss his fourth straight game with an upper body injury. 

“Mitch and I had that little discussion today. We wondered how the science project was going and we went back into that room and asked a few questions, but we didn’t get any good answers.” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the morning skate. “I’ve said it before, that’s why coaches and players aren’t allowed to make those decisions. That’s why it’s really good you have the medical science people we do and they say no.”

Former Red Wing Alexey Marchenko will replace Carrick on the right side with Jake Gardiner in his first start for the Leafs and Frederik Gauthier will once again center the fourth line with Matt Martin and Nikita Soshnikov. 

“He’s a real good defender, with a really smart, good stick. He’s not fleet of foot, so play your game. (He’s a) good passer, courageous guy. I think (Marchenko) is a real hockey player.” Babcock said. “We’re going to find out….you’re going to watch and I’m going to watch and it’s up to him to grab (a job).”  

Frederik Andersen and Henrik Lundqvist will get the start in goal. 

With six days to go until the trade deadline, the Leafs are not expected to make any additions to their NHL roster, but the injury to Carrick may have lowered the odds of Toronto moving veterans Matt Hunwick or Roman Polak as rentals, since they are now down to seven defenseman.

The Leafs could have an impact on the trade market if GM Lou Lamoriello repeats what he did one year ago and use his available cap space to acquire assets. 

The trades made this week (Michael Stone to Calgary and Ron Hainsey to Pittsburgh) required the Coyotes and Hurricanes to retain 50% of their salary to make the deal possible. 

Toronto has over $17 Million in available cap space by placing Joffrey Lupul, Stephane Robidas and Nathan Horton on LTIR and could be willing to take on salary for draft picks or prospects. 

This would not have any effect on the Leafs roster, as they could send players to the Toronto Marlies. 

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:24 am