Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings  Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:19 pm

Sheahan's goal is to get one
    February 23, 2017, 9:43 PM ET [0 Comments]
    Bob Duff
     Detroit Red Wings  Det Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Riley Sheahan is chasing history but you might not want to bring up his impending date with fame.

It’s not something the Detroit Red Wings forward is really taking a shine to in any sense.

Sheahan, a first round draft pick in 2010, is without a goal, 58 games into the season. He is three games away from equaling the unofficial Red Wings mark for most consecutive games into a season by a Detroit forward without scoring a goal.

In 1958-59, Forbes Kennedy played 61 games before he finally scored his first and only goal of the season on March 9, 1959 at Olympia Stadium against the Montreal Canadiens.

If you are wondering about the mark for the most games played by a Detroit forward in a season without scoring at all, that is 56 games, shared by Stu Grimson (1995-96) and Aaron Downey (2007-08).

The Red Wings won an NHL-record 62 games in 1995-96 and won the Stanley Cup in 2007-08, so nobody really paid attention to the respective struggles of Grimson and Downey.

This season’s version of the Wings is about to miss the playoffs for the first time since 1989-90, so people are noticing all that is going wrong, and Sheahan has become the unfortunate poster boy for all of this team’s failings.

“It’s been a tough year,” Sheahan said.

You think?

“You want to contribute as much as you can,” Sheahan continued. “I haven’t done as well as I want to, but I still get to come to the rink everyday and get to be around a good group of guys and get to play a game you grew up playing, grew up loving. 

“You just try and forget about the negative things and remember how lucky you are, that this is a great opportunity. So, I am going to keep coming to every game with a new attitude. I am just going to try and keep rolling.”  

As much as he tries to put his goalless drought aside, Sheahan really can’t. It’s like when you are driving down the highway and there is a horrific car crash off to the side of the road. You don’t want to look but you just can’t help yourself but stare at the carnage.

“I find myself thinking about it too much,” Sheahan frankly admitted. “You see all the opportunities you have and wonder why it didn’t go in?

“It’s tough. But, at the same time getting chances, we still have games left to hopefully have them come in bunches so I can finish off the way I want to. It’s about having a short memory because everybody goes through a difficult time.”

The curious twist to this unimaginable slump is that Sheahan closed out the 2015-16 NHL season with five goals in his last nine games, and the Wings have always been of the belief that he was someone who could eventually develop into more of a regular contributor to the team’s offense. 

Sheahan scored 14 goals last season, bettering his 2014-15 career high by one goal.

While he certainly gets the stink eye from Red Wings fans, Sheahan gets nothing but positive feedback within the Detroit dressing room.

“The guys are great,” Sheahan said. “We have such a good locker room here, you never feel like someone is looking at you weird because you haven’t been doing as well as you want to. 

“The coaches have been great; everyone has been great. Nothing has really changed. Some bounces here and there would’ve been nice, but we still have a lot of games left.”

Detroit coach Jeff Blashill understands the effect this drought could take on Sheahan’s psyche. He even gave Sheahan a night off in January to help him get away from the spotlight but truth be told, Blashill likes everything else that Sheahan is delivering on the ice this season.

He can kill penalties, he can provide a net front presence on the power play and is a big body who can retrieve pucks. Sheahan often legs ice time in a defensive role against the opposition’s more dangerous forwards.

“Sheahan does a great job in a lot of areas,” Blashill said. “I think Sheahan’s played good hockey; he just hasn’t scored. That’s just sometimes the way it goes but I think he’s played good hockey. I think eventually he’ll get his goals. 

“He’s a human so it’s hard. But I think when his focus is — you can’t make the puck go in the net, what you can do is be physical, you can be good defensively and real accountable and he’s done those things.”

That show of confidence in his overall game has helped Sheahan get through the struggles of not finding a way to put the puck in the back of the net.

“I am not going to complain about the ice time,” said Sheahan, who averaged 14:07 per game. “I think doing the little things right and doing what he asks - be smart with the puck, be sound defensively - are the things if you do right he’s going to play you.”

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 5:36 am