Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

+2
Neno
lrichards
6 posters

Store Closings

lrichards
    lrichards
    Quiet Investor
    Quiet Investor

Store Closings Empty Store Closings

Post by lrichards Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:35 am

Now here's some great news! Below is a list of companies that are down sizing (closing stores in the next 90 days). I wonder how this will effect the unemployment numbers?

· Office Depot - 150 stores

· Barnes & Noble - 240 stores

· Game Stop - 600 stores

· Office Mac - 175 stores

· JC Penny - 350 stores

· Gap - 125 stores

· K-Mart - 225 stores

· Radio Shack - 50 stores

· Best Buy - 250 stores

· Sears 125 stores
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Store Closings Empty Re: Store Closings

Post by Neno Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am

Office Depot - 150 stores

· Barnes & Noble - 240 stores

· Game Stop - 600 stores

· Office Mac - 175 stores

· JC Penny - 350 stores

· Gap - 125 stores

· K-Mart - 225 stores

· Radio Shack - 50 stores

· Best Buy - 250 stores

· Sears 125 stores
    In each of these above, the real truth is competition. Yes some will be laid off and yes some stores will close but in reality, competition has done this with new other names and store openings and hired employees. The wheel rolls on, even tho it is sad for those that got the late starts at these closures.
    notazbad2000
    notazbad2000
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by notazbad2000 Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

I took Best Buy and guessed they have about 50 employees per store. That's about 12,500 people out of work within 90 days. That's just one store on that list mind you.Evil or Very Mad😢

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

Post by Bama Diva Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Neno wrote:In each of these above, the real truth is competition. Yes some will be laid off and yes some stores will close but in reality, competition has done this with new other names and store openings and hired employees. The wheel rolls on, even tho it is sad for those that got the late starts at these closures.

The sales figures have been really down in these stores for the last 3 to 4 years and they are hurting badly. So, I am not convinced that competition is as big of player in the closings as the economy is. When people started tearing up their credit cards and went to cash, the sales took a dive imo.
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Opinions very and that is a good thing. I like yours as well Bama but I see the economy everyday here in TEXAS, the lines just get longer and longer and the store names, they change and just keep coming with the same products or the same like ones just under a different a different copyright... ;)
    wciappetta
    wciappetta
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by wciappetta Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Lets not forget the healthcare penalties and other such additional healthcare related costs have fast tracked this....

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... For from His fullness, we have all received and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever yet seen God. The only begotten God, the One being in the bosom of the Father, He has made Him known. - Berean Literal Bible
    notazbad2000
    notazbad2000
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by notazbad2000 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I hardly do any major shopping at any of the stores listed. I am practicing something called "Delayed Gratification". I see so much I want and want to do in life, but I refuse to put myself in debt any further. When this investment comes to fruition, debt will cease to be a part of my vocabulary.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 pm

And you smart TAZ, other than your home and or Auto's, you need to be in debt with nothing else. Everything is a luxury in life, live with in your means cause you never know when a emergency will occur. The way I live too brother... ;)
    notazbad2000
    notazbad2000
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by notazbad2000 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Neno wrote:And you smart TAZ, other than your home and or Auto's, you need to be in debt with nothing else. Everything is a luxury in life, live with in your means cause you never know when a emergency will occur. The way I live too brother... ;)

I'm one up on that Bro! I rent an apartment and my car is paid in full!

elandur
    elandur
    Getting It Investor
    Getting It Investor

Post by elandur Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Can't be! The president says the economy is doing great! We've turned the corner - for the past couple years or so. Everything is coming up roses!

Having said that, can't say I am too surprised, looking at the list of stores. Barnes and Noble? Love them. I buy quite a few books from them each year. But reality is, more people are ordering online and buying e-books. Brick and morter store fronts are expensive. And while I still like to browse the stacks may people don't think that way anymore. B. Daltons, Walden Books - both gone for years. I used to frequent them just as much. Borders? Gone. When it comes to books, you simply don't need a brick and morter.

Kmart? Well, I just went to one in Phoenix. Same Kmart I used to go to 35 years ago when I was going to college. First time I have been to a Kmart in years. Why? There hasn't been a Kmart in San Antonio, to my knowledge in years. Between Walmart and HEB (and the few Targets that are left) they have all been run out of business here. Walmart does Kmart much better.

Best Buy? I don't think they are going to be around much longer either. My son-in-law used to work for them and he expressed much the same sentiment. There really isn't much they provide that can't be done online. This past Christmas we shopped Best Buy - but almost all of it was done online. We just went to the local Best Buy for pickup. And we really didn't need to do that as they ship as well.

I think the problem is two-fold (at least). Part of it is the economy. Part of it is changes in the way we shop. The former has simply accelerated the latter. And of course, as pointed out above, closing the stores eliminates jobs that in turn feeds the downturn in the economy, which in turn is changing the way we shop as well. When I buy on line I don't have to pay for the gas to go to the store. There are a lot of factors here; I am sure Obamacare is playing a part. Perhaps one reason many are shopping online instead of going to malls is that they are worried about becoming the victim of a mass-shooting. (Even though your odds of simply being mugged are much, much greater. But then again, less chance of being mugged if you shop online too.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am