Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Iraq elects president, prepares to choose prime minister

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Iraq elects president, prepares to choose prime minister Empty Iraq elects president, prepares to choose prime minister

Post by Rocky Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

Iraq elects president, prepares to choose prime minister

Massoum's election begins the selection of a prime minister.

By Ed Adamczyk | July 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM |

Iraq-elects-president-prepares-to-choose
    Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. UPI/Kevin Dietsch | License Photo

BAGHDAD, July 24 (UPI) --Kurdish leader Fouad Massoum was elected Iraq's new president by Parliament Thursday and immediately sworn in.
    Massoum, 76, a veteran politician, fought as a guerrilla against Saddam Hussein, and replaces Jalal Talabani, who was regarded as a unifying force in Iraq's fractious government until he suffered a stroke in 2012.

The election clears the way for choosing a prime minister. While Nouri al-Maliki has held that position since 2006 and is seeking re-election, many legislators view him as a divisive figure in a country beset by ethnic disputes, disagreements between Muslim sects, and open warfare.

Iraq has essentially been partitioned: northern Kurds are making arrangements for a referendum on independence and gradually withdrawing from government positions; Shiite Muslims control Baghdad and the southern part of the country; and a Sunni-led "Islamic State" occupies the middle.

Massoum's election comes a week after Salim al-Jubouri, a Sunni Muslim regarded as a moderate, was installed as the Parliament's speaker.

Massoum is "a moderate man and was agreed to by everyone," said legislator and Shiite Abbas al-Bayati. "A man who refuses divisions, and this is what we look for in the Iraqi president."

Political analyst Hashim al-Hashimi noted, "This is for sure a great achievement. Now the road is paved to nominate the prime minister and form the government."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:43 am