Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

2 posters

Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet!

Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet! Empty Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet!

Post by Bama Diva Fri 26 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet!

September 26, 2014

Yesterday, I brought you breaking news about the dangerous new “Bash” bug. Turns out the media is now calling it "Shellshock," and it’s even bigger than the wildest estimates. With this bug, hackers can invade half a billion websites and even more gadgets, including your Wi-Fi router.

This hack is so massive that it even has governments worldwide running scared. That's because a flaw in how most devices connect to the Internet allows a hacker complete access. Some reports estimate at least 63% of all Internet devices are in danger. Frankly, with many gadgets at risk, Shellshock could potentially bring down the Internet.

Don't know what Shellshock is?Check out my coverage of this dangerous hack yesterday to get up to speed.

From what is known now, which unfortunately is actually very little, computers powered by Microsoft Windows are safe. But there are basically three areas that can affect you. The Web servers that run websites - perhaps a half billion or so - are vulnerable, which puts your banking and shopping info at risk. Your Internet-connected devices, such as Wi-Fi routers, may be at risk. And every Apple computer is also susceptible to the virus.

So susceptible, in fact, that hackers can even open and close your CD drive at will. While fixes are being rushed as we speak, your Apple computer might already be secretly enslaved by hackers.

If you're using an Apple computer, finding out if you've been infected by the Shellshock exploit isn't as hard as you'd think. First, you must open up the terminal program. To find it, click on the magnifying glass on the far upper-right hand corner of your screen to open up Spotlight.
    Now type "terminal" into the search bar. Click it and paste this into the terminal window:  env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c 'echo this is a test'

Press return, and if you see the word "vulnerable," then your computer could be in trouble.

Even if you aren't vulnerable, you're still going to want to take a few precautions while you surf the Web. Be sure to avoid any websites with media files that aren't heavily protected. The Shellshock exploit is avoidable, but a website's owners have to be vigilant.

You can probably trust major sites like YouTube or Yahoo to keep malware off your computer, but something like an obscure little blog might not keep their security protocols up to date.

For the time being, avoid banking, online shopping and anything else that takes your payment information. No one is sure how many sites could be infected, and the next couple of days will definitely be dangerous. Stick with me as this story develops.

As always, be sure to keep your anti-virus software up to date and hunting down any potential threats.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/274366/worst-ever-computer-bug-tech-panic-spreads-as-governments-industry-rush-to-protect-internet/al
    ahill
    ahill
    All In Investor
    All In Investor

Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet! Empty Re: Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet!

Post by ahill Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the update.

ann
    Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet! Empty Re: Worst ever computer bug: Tech panic spreads as governments & industry rush to protect Internet!

Post by Bama Diva Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:15 am

September 25, 2014

Dangerous new bug hits most websites plus consumer electronics

Hackers are calling this dangerous security bug "worse than Heartbleed." If you remember how easily Heartbleed let hackers steal your info, then today’s news is a big concern. This time, the problem affects both websites you may visit plus everyday electronic gear you may have. 

By one estimate, nearly two thirds of all Web servers are vulnerable to this new Bash bug. This could mean hundreds of thousands or even millions of websites are affected. The Bash bug is so scary, in fact, that the exploit even lets hackers open and close the CD drive on your computer.

Bash gives hackers a wide-open backdoor into your computer that, unlike most viruses, lets them remotely execute a file. This means that they can install files without your consent. Every Apple and Linux computer in the world is, as of this moment, vulnerable to attack.

After a security expert reported the exploit yesterday, hackers leaped into action and created the "Thanks, Richard" worm. The worm is a form of malware that looks for computers that it can infect and then automatically does so.

After infecting a system, the worm automatically looks for more places to infect. While we don't yet know what software was in the worm, the sheer number of devices vulnerable to the Bash exploit is staggering.

By taking advantage of Bash, hackers could infect "smart" thermostats, light bulbs and door locks. It's a one-stop shop for becoming a villain straight out of a comic book movie.

• Avoid visiting any website that isn't updated often.
    • Don't download anything from non-secure locations for a few days. If you have to download a program, be sure to confirm its authenticity with your anti-virus program.
    • Subscribe to my newslettersto get my continued coverage of this dangerous exploit. I'll let you know when the fix is finally in.
    • Send out emails, share this post and spread the word. Keep your friends and family out of websites that could already be infected with malware.

• It's frustrating that the only advice I can really give to you is "stay tuned," but we're not the soldiers in this war, we're the victims. It's a battle between server administrators and cybercriminals.

• My advice to you until a fix is in? Duck for cover.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/274118/dangerous-new-bug-hits-most-websites-plus-consumer-electronics/2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 1:00 pm