Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS

Lobo
    Lobo

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS Empty The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS

Post by Lobo Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:07 pm

The star-spangled skies of America: Photographer travels across the states to capture breathtaking celestial scenes

• Craig Goodwin, 46, travels to Washington, Idaho and Arizona to shoot nature's stars in their full glory 

• Once a month he goes out to a location two hours after sunset, usually during a new moon when the sky is darkest

• Goodwin has taken breathtaking photos of the Northern Lights and the bright band of the Milky Way

• Was first inspired to take photos of the sky while helping his daughter study stars' movements for a science project 

By ANNETA KONSTANTINIDES FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 23:31 EST, 22 June 2015 UPDATED: 00:49 EST, 23 June 2015

•  

[size=32]552
    shares

[/size]
    [size=32]16[/size]
    [size]

[/size]
    View comments
    [size]
    [/size]

These are the breathtaking images one Washington photographer has captured of star trails lit up against the night sky in landscapes across Western America.
    Vibrant constellations pop in kaleidoscope skies alight in unbelievable shades of purple, green and pink in these pictures taken by astrophotograher Craig Goodwin.
    Goodwin, 46, travels to Washington, Idaho and Arizona to escape pitch black skies awash with city lights to shoot nature's stars in their full glory.
    Scroll down for video 
    The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE1100000578-0-image-a-14_1435020615951

Washington photographer Craig Goodwin, 46, has been capturing breathtaking images of star trails across Western America in 2014. Pictured here are the Northern Lights over Priest Lake Resort, which Goodwin photographed from a fire pit 

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE3100000578-0-image-a-16_1435020623557

The Northern Lights erupts next to a Christ Lutheran Church of England in Rocklyn, Washington. Goodwin travels to Washington, Idaho and Arizona to escape pitch black skies awash with city lights to shoot nature's stars in their full glory

He has captured the striking movements of the Northern Lights twinkling across Priest Lake in Idaho, or the Milky Way's bright band stretching over a waterfall in Palouse Falls State Park in Washington. 
    Goodwin told the Daily Mail Online that he became inspired to shoot the night sky after helping his daughter with a science fair project at her elementary school last year.
    They set up his DSLR camera in a tripod on the backyard of their home in Spokane, Washington to study the movement of stars in the sky. 
    'The photos were nothing special, but I was hooked,' he said. 
    Goodwin was soon venturing for his first all-nighter under the stars, where he was taken by the 'solitude and beauty' of the night sky before he had even taken his first photo. 
    'It had been a long time since I had an excuse to wander the wilderness in the middle of the night,' he said. 
    'I literally was stumbling in the dark with this new kind of photography, but the images that started to appear on the review sceen of my camera were shocking - all those stars, all that detail. I felt like an explorer unveiling grand mysteries.'  
    Goodwin, armed with a Nikon D600 camera, usually goes out once a month around the new moon, when there is less light pollution as the moon rises and sets with the sun. This leaves the skies even darker, and the stars brighter.
    The photographer said he researches his locations ahead of time, usually getting there around two hours after sunset and tending to move around to try a number of different compositions. 
    The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE2100000578-0-image-a-28_1435021042935

Goodwin uses a Nikon D600 camera to capture his stunning images, such as this one of the Milky Way band stretching over Palouse Falls State Park in Washington 

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE2900000578-0-image-a-23_1435020643838

Here Goodwin uses this barn in Lincoln County, Washington as a contrast for the vast spoke of the Milky Way against the night sky 

Goodwin said his best photos have usually come from situations where his original spot didn't work out and he was forced to try something unknown.
    'It seems the longer I hang out, the more tuned in I get to the possibilities of a place,' he said. 'The last photos I take are often my best.' 
    And if those great photos don't come along? 
    'I've learned that if everything falls apart on a trip, the worst that can happen is that I get to spend a magical night under the stars, taking in the grandeur of the universe,' said Goodwin.   

The photographer often likes to find earthbound objects, such as a church, a barn or a waterfall, that can lend context to the vast scope of the sky and hint at human activity. 
    'The most powerful images seem to be the ones that have an intriguing juxtaposition of space, earth and civilization,' he said. 
    'It evokes for me a story of human civilization caught up in a drama that is both mystical and earthy, known and unknown. It's a story of adventure, and hopefully these picture stories can awaken a sense of that adventure.' 
    And Goodwin hopes that when people see his photos, they'll use that sense of adventure to explore the natural beauty he searches for every month. 
    'One of my goals with these photos is to inspire people to go out and see for themselves,' he said. 
    'I love the photos, but more than that, I love the experience of being there.'   

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE1900000578-0-image-a-29_1435021056355

Here Goodwin has captured the Milky Way's bright band as it arcs over Palouse Falls State Park in Washington

The star-spangled skies of America - STUNNING PHOTOS 29DAFE1500000578-0-image-a-27_1435020655935

The Milky Way band twinkles over Steamboat Rock State Park in Washington. 'I find myself so small and lost under the stars,' Goodwin said. 'But in a good way. It puts things in perspective and opens me up to the mystery of life' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135553/Craig-Goodwin-travels-America-capture-star-trails.html#ixzz3duwVffxX 
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 3:20 am