Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Iraq Dinar/News is a popular topic among many topics this board offers.

See the footer of the board for our Facebook and My business pages.

Be sure and join our Dinar Only Newsletter Email list. It is located on the right. Your User Account Email when joining the board is for with in Neno's Place use of board information which you can control in your profile settings.

Neno

NOTES:
For "Advertising" with in my board to our Membership and Visitors see our "Sponsor Ad Info" in the Navbar. Neno's Place receives a low of 50,000 views a week to over 100,000 plus many times thru out the year.

I can be reached by phone or text 7am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.
Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Longest Dinar holding Community. Reach Admin by Private Message. Copyright © 2006-2017

Who Knew This Is Why Zebras Have Such Striking Coloration?

Lobo

Who Knew This Is Why Zebras Have Such Striking Coloration?

Post by Lobo on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:30 pm

By Dr. Becker

[size=30]Who Knew This Is Why Zebras Have Such Striking Coloration?[/size]

The purpose of the zebra’s black and white stripes has mystified scientists and laymen alike for centuries.
But now a research team from the University of California-Davis has taken a different approach to solving the riddle of the stripes, and their explanation was recently revealed in the journal Nature Communications.1

Researchers Tested 5 Theories for Why Zebras Have Stripes

Theories for the stripes that have surfaced over the years include:

• They are a method of camouflage.
  • They are defensive weapons to visually confuse predators.
  • They help regulate the zebra’s body temperature.
  • They deter ectoparasites (biting flies), as earlier research has shown that the flies tend to avoid black-and-white striped surfaces.
  • They serve some sort of social function for the zebras

[size]
The UC-Davis team gathered information on different species and subspecies of zebras and other striped African hooved mammals, measured their data against the five theories, and ruled out all but one. They determined it is likely that biting flies such as tsetse flies and horseflies are the reason for zebra stripes, because their data showed greater striping on the animals living in parts of the world where biting flies are abundant.
Africa is well known for having a wide distribution of tsetse flies, but no such information exists for horseflies or deer flies. So the UC-Davis team mapped locations that would theoretically provide the best breeding conditions for those flies, and discovered that striping on zebras is closely linked with several consecutive months of excellent conditions for horsefly reproduction.2[/size]

Zebra Stripes May Have Evolved to Compensate for Unusually Short Body Hair

According to lead study author Tim Caro, professor of wildlife biology at UC-Davis:
“No one knew why zebras have such striking coloration. But solving evolutionary conundrums increases our knowledge of the natural world and may spark greater commitment to conserving it.”
[size]
Interestingly, the UC-Davis researchers might have uncovered another intriguing detail about zebras. It seems that unlike other hooved animals native to Africa, zebras have body hair that is shorter than the mouthpart length of biting flies, which would make them particularly vulnerable to the flies. So the stripes may have evolved as a deterrent.
Parasitic flies can carry a long list of diseases they transmit when they attach to a new host. Studies on horseflies in the U.S. suggest that cows can lose over a pint of blood a day to the flies, and up to 40 pounds of weight over eight weeks.[/size]

fonz1951
Interacting Investor
Interacting Investor

Re: Who Knew This Is Why Zebras Have Such Striking Coloration?

Post by fonz1951 on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

very interesting, i found out another tidbit about zebras that is rather odd,and when i heard it i thought it was untrue until i saw it for myself. my wife and i went to the Serengeti on safari and we saw all kinds of animals. the zebras will follow a wildebeast herd and flank it staying 50 to 100 feet away and if a predator tries to attack the herd the zebra will bark much like a dog and the wildebeast herd will stampede away from the predator. it's really cool to see.

Neno
Admin
Admin

Post by Neno on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 8:32 pm

Kinda like a donkey or mule around cattle and horses?

Lobo

Post by Lobo on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 8:35 pm

WOW, didn't know that - thanks for letting us know.
duck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:51 am

Current date/time is Sat 10 Dec 2016, 12:51 am