Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

All About Eggplant

Lobo
    Lobo

All About Eggplant Empty All About Eggplant

Post by Lobo Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:08 pm

All About Eggplant
    All About Eggplant Img79
    Large globe eggplants are ideal for roasting, broiling and grilling, after which they excel in pureed spreads, pasta sauces and chilled antipasti. Longer, thinner Asian eggplants lend themselves well to stir-frying, braising in curry sauces and pickling.

Selecting
    Eggplants are at their best and most abundant in late summer. Choose smooth, firm, glossy-skinned eggplant with green caps and stems. Whether purple, white, green or another color, avoid any that are wrinkled, torn, bruised or scarred or that have brown, dried caps.

Storing
    Store eggplants in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Preparing
    Rinse the eggplants and then, using a large knife, trim the green top. If an eggplant is large with numerous seeds, or if the flesh looks dark and watery, extract the bitter juices by sprinkling salt on it after slicing and place in a colander set in the sink for 30 minutes. Salting also prepares eggplant for deep-frying. Young eggplants or Asian varieties can be cooked without salting or peeling.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Companion: The A to Z Guide to Everyday Cooking, Equipment and Ingredients (Time-Life Books, 2000)

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:20 am