Flageolets with Fennel, Herbs and Olives
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- Printer Friendly Version
- 12 oz. dried flageolets or cannellini beans,
sorted, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into thirds
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 fresh thyme sprig plus 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel bulb, white part only
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Wine PairingThis pairs well with smooth, light-bodied red wines from our Wine Club.
Directions:In an electric or stovetop pressure cooker, combine the beans, ginger, sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and thyme sprig. Add water to cover by 1 inch. Cover the cooker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stock, lemon juice, olives, chopped thyme, parsley and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Drain the beans and remove the ginger, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and thyme sprig. Toss the beans with the fennel mixture. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.