Deluxe Mashed Potatoes
Write a Review
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Hints of rosemary and thyme and a touch of garlic and chile make these potatoes a favorite of the Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen. Using a potato ricer ensures fluffy, lump-free potatoes every time.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large fresh thyme sprig
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 to 3 dried arbol chiles
- 3 lb. (1.5 kg) russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
Directions:In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, garlic, shallot, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, peppercorns and chiles. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly simmer while cooking the potatoes.
Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover by 3 inches (7.5 cm) and generously salt the water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
Working in batches, pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Stir in the butter and the 1 1/2 tsp. salt until fully incorporated. Strain the hot cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids. Gradually pour the cream into the potatoes while stirring constantly until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Adjust the salt to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 8 to 10.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen