Moroccan-Spiced Roasted Vegetables and Quinoa
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
Moroccan spices, such as cumin, turmeric and cinnamon, help to make this a delicious and aromatic meal. Quinoa is a great gluten-free protein source and has a light and fluffy texture that’s a nice counterpoint to tender root vegetables. Dried fruit and nuts are common in Moroccan-style dishes, and lend sweetness and crunch.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (12-cm) pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (12-cm) pieces
- 6 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./90 ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) low-sodium vegetable or chicken
- 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) dried apricots, quartered
- 3 Tbs. slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Wine PairingThis pairs well with rich, medium-bodied white wines like the John Duval Plexus Blanc Barossa Valley from our Wine Club.
Directions:Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, toss the parsnips and carrots with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, the cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and season well with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring a couple of times, until the vegetables are very tender and caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan over high heat, bring the broth to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until all the broth is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and add the roasted vegetables, apricots, almonds and parsley. Stir in the remaining 4 Tbs. (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil, season with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy Dish of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2014).
- All About Carrots >
- All About Parsnips