Cherry Tomato, Green Bean and Wax Bean Salad with Herbed Bread Crumbs
Write a Review
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
You can use any kind of snap bean in this salad, but it looks especially pretty made with dark green beans and pale yellow wax beans. Be sure to add a generous amount of salt to the boiling water so the beans stay vividly colored.
- Printer Friendly Version
- Kosher salt, to taste, plus 1/2 tsp.
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 6 oz. yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs from coarse country bread
- 3 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions:Bring a saucepan three-fourths full of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green and wax beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and plunge into cold water to cool. Drain again.
Preheat an oven to 375°F.
On a heavy rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread crumbs with 1 1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil, 1 tsp. of the thyme and 1 garlic clove. Season lightly with salt and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil, the vinegar, the remaining 2 tsp. thyme, the remaining garlic clove and the 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the green and wax beans, cherry tomatoes and red onion, season with pepper and toss to combine. Stir in the bread crumbs. Transfer to a platter and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Garden Cookbook, by Jeanne Kelley (Weldon Owen, 2013).
- All About Green Beans >
- All About Tomatoes >
- All About Wax Beans