Glazed Root Vegetables
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
These glazed vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to our Stout-Braised Lamb Shanks.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 baby carrots, green tops attached, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 baby turnips, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
- 8 baby red potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Stout-Braised Lamb Shanks >
Wine PairingThis pairs well with crisp, medium-bodied white wines like the Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc, Napa County/Sonoma County from our Wine Club.
Directions:In a petite braiser or fry pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbs. of the butter. Add one-third of the carrots, turnips and potatoes, cut side down, and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Brown the remaining vegetables in 2 batches, melting 1 Tbs. of the butter before cooking each batch.
Return all the vegetables to the pan and add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter, the broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are glazed, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.