Roasted Tomatoes with Cannellini Beans and Capers
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
This vegetarian dish is a good source of protein and an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and many phytochemicals. The creamy texture of the cannellini beans, the mild acidity of the roasted tomatoes and the saltiness of the capers come together in a combination that mates well with grilled fish, or with green vegetables as part of a vegetarian meal.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 1 1/4 lb. plum tomatoes, cut into wedges 1/2 inch wide
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp. chopped orange zest
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbs. small capers, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, or more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions:Preheat an oven to 400°F.
Spread the tomatoes in a shallow, 9-by-13-inch baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast the tomatoes until they begin to brown on the edges, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Combine the parsley, dried herbs and orange zest on a cutting board and chop together finely. Add the beans, capers and parsley mixture to the tomatoes and stir gently just to blend. Return to the oven and roast until all the ingredients are heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Season with the salt and pepper.
Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Healthful Cooking, by Mary Abbott Hess, Dana Jacobi & Marie Simmons (Oxmoor House, 2003).