Farmers' Market Salad with Tomato-Basil Vinaigrette
Write a Review
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Though you can serve this salad as is, we also love it topped with crispy garlic chips. To make them, place 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) very thinly sliced garlic in a small sauté pan with 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil. Place over medium heat and gently fry, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown. Using a fine-mesh strainer, drain the chips, then transfer to a paper towel–lined plate and sprinkle with kosher salt. Reserve the garlicky oil for sautéing or making salad dressing.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 1 plum tomato, peeled, cored, and seeded
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) crumbled cotija or feta
- Garlic chips (optional; see note)
Directions:Using a mini food processor, puree the tomato; you should have about 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml).
In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato puree, minced garlic, champagne vinegar, olive oil and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Taste and add the sugar if desired.
Trim the ends off the zucchini and summer squashes. Using a spiralizer fitted with the small shredder blade, cut the zucchini and squash into spaghetti-like spiral strands, using kitchen shears to cut the curls every 3 or 4 rotations.
Transfer the zucchini and squashes to a large bowl. Add the radishes, shallots and cherry tomatoes. Add the vinaigrette to taste and toss to evenly distribute. Top with the crumbled cotija and garlic chips and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen