Black Bean & Fresh Corn Tostadas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
A member of the legume family, black beans are high in protein and fiber. Here, they are combined with fresh corn and cumin to create a simple topping for corn tortillas.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Kernels cut from 1 ear yellow corn
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to
- 2 cups drained cooked black beans, or 1 can (14
oz.) black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed
- Plain whole or low-fat yogurt for garnish
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Minced fresh cilantro for garnish
Wine PairingThis pairs well with crisp, light-bodied white wines like the Al-Cantàra Occhi Di Ciumi, Sicilia from our Wine Club.
Directions:In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the corn kernels, the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring, until the corn is just heated through and slightly tender, about 3 minutes.
In a bowl, combine the black beans and corn. Season with salt, pepper and the cumin. Top each tortilla with some of the bean mixture, then add a spoonful of yogurt, a slice or 2 of avocado and a sprinkling of minced cilantro. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Starters, by Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2006).