Chicken Noodle Soup
Write a Review
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
To make chicken and rice soup, substitute 1 cup cooked white rice for the noodles. Add the rice to the soup about 2 minutes before serving in the second step.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white portion only, halved, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock, homemade or purchased
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, homemade (see related recipe at left) or purchased
- 1/2 lb. dried egg noodles
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Chicken Soup with Kale >
Wine PairingThis pairs well with rich, medium-bodied white wines like the John Duval Plexus Blanc Barossa Valley from our Wine Club.
Directions:Prepare the soup
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. When it is hot, add the celery, leek and carrot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and add the bay leaf, thyme and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the noodles, stir well and cook just until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
Season the soup
Remove and discard the bay leaf from the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Soup, by Georgeanne Brennan (Oxmoor House, 2006).