Write a Review
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Chef Traci Des Jardins created this flavor-packed recipe for salsa verde, which includes lots of fresh herbs along with capers and anchovy. It will enliven a host of foods, from pan-seared fish and roasted meats to grilled vegetables. If you want to prepare the sauce a long time in advance, do not add the acid (red wine vinegar) until just ready to serve, as it will “burn” the herbs.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, washed and dried
and then chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chervil
- 1 bunch finely minced fresh chives
- 1 bunch finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 3 Tbs. chopped capers
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped anchovy
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions:In a bowl, combine the parsley, chervil, chives, tarragon, shallot, capers, anchovy, lemon zest, olive oil and vinegar. Stir well, then season with salt and pepper. Serves 10.
Variation 1: Add 1/2 cup finely minced celery hearts and leaves to the above recipe.
Variation 2: Add 1 trimmed and finely minced fennel bulb to the above recipe. Replace the red wine vinegar with the juice of 1 lemon.
Recipe by Traci Des Jardins, Chef/Owner, Jardinière and Mijita, San Francisco.