Pesto is an easy and delicious way to enjoy fresh basil. Toss this fragrant, flavorful pesto with angel hair pasta, and store any leftovers in the refrigerator or spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Transfer frozen pesto cubes to a heavy-duty freezer bag.
Yield:6 to 8 servings of pasta (with ¾ cup pesto)
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
InstructionsProcess the first 5 ingredients in a food processor or blender for 2 minutes or until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add cheese, salt, and pepper, and process for 30 seconds. Transfer pesto to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add desired amount of pesto and chopped tomato, tossing well. Garnish with freshly minced basil.