It’s hard to beat this homemade marinara sauce when it comes to fresh herb flavor and chunky, tomato texture. Freeze any remaining sauce in heavy-duty zip lock freezer bags or other freezer-safe containers for later use in your favorite recipes.
Servings: 6 to 8 main-dish servings with pasta or 5 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package penne pasta
- Sprigs fresh oregano
InstructionsHeat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add basil and oregano; cook an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool while pasta cooks.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Spoon pasta onto individual serving plates, and top with marinara sauce. Garnish with sprigs of fresh oregano, and serve with crusty French bread, if desired.