U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq on Monday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Tuesday.
Officials reported details of yesterday’s strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.Strikes in Syria
Fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted four strikes in Syria:
Strikes in Iraq
- Near Shadaddi, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Raqqah, two strikes struck an ISIL finance center and an ISIL weapons storage facility.
- Near Mara, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Rocket artillery and ground-attack, fighter, bomber, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 25 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Baghdadi, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Albu Hayat, a strike destroyed and ISIL vehicle.
- Near Rutbah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Bashir, a strike destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and four ISIL tunnel entrances.
- Near Beiji, two strikes destroyed four ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL tunnel entrances and denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Fallujah, six strikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed five ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL tunnel entrances, two ISIL staging areas, an ISIL beddown location, an ISIL-used bridge, an ISIL medium machine gun and an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery piece.
- Near Hit, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL heavy machine gun and suppressing an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Mosul, seven strikes struck six separate ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL vehicles, three ISIL assembly areas, three ISIL weapons caches, an ISIL mortar system and an ISIL rocket rail and suppressing an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Qayyarah, four strikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit, destroying 19 ISIL rocket rails and an ISIL mortar position and denying ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Ramadi, a strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. Ground-based artillery fired in counterfire or in fire support to maneuver roles is not classified as a strike.Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.(Source: US Dept of Defense)