Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Global Monetary System Needs Reforming, Says Trichet

Lobo
    Lobo

system - Global Monetary System Needs Reforming, Says Trichet Empty Global Monetary System Needs Reforming, Says Trichet

Post by Lobo Tue 10 May 2016, 4:40 pm

Global Monetary System Needs Reforming, Says Trichet
    May 10, 2016, 05:55:00 AM EDT By Dow Jones Business News

FRANKFURT—Jean-Claude Trichet, former head of the European Central Bank, has called for the reform of the international monetary system, with more guidance on appropriate exchange rates, highlighting concerns policy makers have about fluctuations in exchange rates.
    In an interview with German financial newspaper Boersen-Zeitung, Mr. Trichet said that he saw "good reasons" to reassess the international monetary system. "We are at a turning point," he said, noting the addition of the Chinese renminbi into the basket of Special Drawing Rights currencies. The SDR is an international reserve asset, created by the International Monetary Fund.
    But he said that "the perception of tolerable exchange rate fluctuations has somewhat changed, after the crisis, in the advanced economies. We have to draw lessons from that."
    He said that a "return to a Bretton Woods type system with fixed exchange rates wouldn't be appropriate and strict exchange rate ranges would permanently invite speculators to test the limits."
    "But to display the medium term equilibrium cross rates between major floating currencies as seen by interested parties, with the stamp of the IMF, could help stabilizing the whole system."
    International officials have repeatedly stressed the need to avoid "competitive devaluations," where a country makes its currency cheaper, but in turn hurts other countries' economies by causing their currencies to rise in value. Policy makers worry that such moves would quickly turn into a "currency war."

Current date/time is Thu 18 Apr 2024, 10:53 pm