18:34 26.04.2016(updated 18:41 26.04.2016) Get short URL
Russia's aerial counter-terrorist campaign in Syria poses no threat to Israel, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said Tuesday.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) — On Friday, Israeli media reported on Russian forces allegedly firing on Israeli aircraft over Syria, as well as claimed that a Russian warplane approached an Israeli military jet off the Mediterranean coast of Syria.
Later, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that media reports about Russian President Vladimir Putin and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu holding talks on alleged air incidents on Syria’s borders are far from being true.
"The Russian and Israeli military agencies set and coordinated all the guidelines and parameters for working in the region long beforehand…We are working in close contact with the Israeli military and, naturally, no threat has been posed to them," Antonov told the RT broadcaster.
"You know that, on the order of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief, the Russian Ministry of Defense has set up a reliable security system for the Russian airbase in Syria. Russian servicemen make sure that no incident involving the armed forces of any other country occurs," Antonov pointed out.
Russia conducted an aerial campaign in Syria for six months between September 2015 and March 2016 at the request of Damascus. Moscow started withdrawing aircraft and personnel from bases in Syria after Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the goals of the campaign had been completed.
Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160426/1038651902/russian-campaign-syria-israel.html#ixzz4AYQzmXkW