Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb

Lobo
    Lobo

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Empty Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb

Post by Lobo Sat 02 Jul 2016, 4:58 pm

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb
    Mosha, a three-legged elephant, uses a custom-made prosthetic leg to walk.
    posted on Jun. 30, 2016, at 9:00 p.m.

Mosha, an elephant who lost her leg when she was just 7 months old in a land mine blast at the Myanmar-Thailand border, now uses a prosthetic leg to walk around.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-2967-1467340750-1
    Athit Perawongmetha / Reuters

The Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation in Lampang, Thailand, where Mosha lives, said the loss of her leg led to severe strain on her other legs and back, so they created a prosthetic leg for her.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-18683-1467340761-1
    The FAE says Mosha is the first elephant ever to use a prosthetic limb, initially attached in 2007.

As Mosha grows bigger, new molds for her prosthetic leg have needed to be designed. She’s now been fitted with her ninth prosthetic leg, according to Reuters.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-26198-1467340959-3

When she was injured, Mosha weighed about 1,300 pounds. She now weighs over 4,400 pounds, Reuters reported.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-26281-1467340982-1

Another elephant, Motola, who is also a land mine victim and lives at the animal hospital, also received a prosthetic leg.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-3118-1467340813-1
    Motola, 56, was injured by a land mine in 1999 while working for loggers along the Myanmar-Thailand border, according to the Associated Press.

Motola has not been as receptive to the leg because the nature of her injury makes it uncomfortable, and she risks getting bedsores, the FAE foundation said.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-32348-1467341029-1

The borders of Thailand and Myanmar are still filled with unexploded land mines, after decades of conflict.

Elephant Who Lost Leg In Land Mine Blast Gets New Prosthetic Limb Sub-buzz-31769-1467341019-1

The FAE said many elephants are injured by land mines, especially those used in logging, because they work in remote forests close to the borders.

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 4:05 am