Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
This crisp-yet-creamy custard features quartered golden apricots and a splash of brandy. The clafoutis is best served warm, with scoops of vanilla ice cream alongside.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. (500 g) apricots, pitted and quartered
- 2 tsp. brandy or Cognac
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./180 ml) plus 2 Tbs. whole milk
- 6 Tbs. (3 oz./90 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/3 cup (2 oz./60 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
Directions:Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C). In a 9-inch (23-cm) ovenproof frying pan, melt the butter. Arrange the apricots in an even layer in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with the brandy.
In a blender, process the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt and flour until smooth. Pour the batter over the apricots.
Bake until the clafoutis is puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Dessert of the Day, by Kim Laidlaw (Weldon Owen, 2013).