Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
For an eye-catching dish, buy carrots in a medley of colors, including orange, yellow and red.
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 lb. (1.25 kg) small rainbow carrots, peeled and tops trimmed to 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) Madeira or dry sherry
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for thyme (optional)
Directions:In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots and stir to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Madeira and broth, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pan and simmer until the carrots are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Uncover the pan and add the sugar, stirring well to combine. Continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the carrots are glazed, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Transfer the carrots to a warmed serving bowl, sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen