Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Senators steal a win against Sharks

jedi17
    jedi17

Senators steal a win against Sharks Empty Senators steal a win against Sharks

Post by jedi17 Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Senators steal a win against Sharks

SAN JOSE – The California Highway Patrol might be following the Ottawa Senators for the next little while.
    After all, goaltender Mike Condon and the rest of the Senators committed highway robbery in stealing a 4-2 win over the San Jose Sharks here late Wednesday night.
    Dominated in the final two periods – outshot 18-6 in the third period and 37-17 overall – the Senators managed to hang around long enough to avoid the Sharks bite.
    With time ticking down in regulation, it was the Senators that bit back.
    With only 1:06 left in regulation, Chris Kelly was the unlikely hero, breaking a 2-2 deadlock.
    Kelly corralled a puck that hopped, skipped and jumped outside the Sharks blue line, split the defence tandem of Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun and then beat goaltender Martin Jones up high on a breakaway. It was Kelly’s second goal of the season and his first in 23 games, dating back to Oct. 18.
    Jean-Gabriel Pageau then iced the game by scoring into an empty net.
    “It was just a safe play and the puck was bouncing around all three of us,” said Kelly. “It bounced by the first defender (Vlasic) and was in the skates of the second defender (Braun) and I just tipped it through and went in and I just tried to get the (puck) up.”
    Just the way they drew it up beforehand.
    Wisely, the Senators got out of Dodge – er, San Jose – quickly, making way for Los Angeles, where they’ll continue the road trip Saturday afternoon against the Kings.
    After opening the four-game swing with an 8-5 loss to Pittsburgh Monday, the Senators are now .500 on the trek, with games against Los Angeles and Anaheim remaining.
    Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone also scored for the Senators, while Brent Burns and Logan Couture netted the Sharks goals.
    Nobody should be fooled. The Senators wouldn’t have been close without the work of goaltender Condon.
    Time and again, Condon kept the Senators alive. With 7:26 to go, he robbed the other Karlsson – the Sharks’ Melker Karlsson – who was left all alone in front of the net. It was one of many pivotal stops throughout the game, much of it spent inside the Senators blue line.
    “That’s a very good team and especially in this building,” Condon said immediately afterwards. “We’ll take the two points and get out of here as quick as we can.”
    The Senators jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on the goals from Stone and Karlsson, but the Sharks pushed and pushed their way back.
    As the Senators made a steady parade to the penalty box, Couture took advantage with a second period power play goal.
    With the teams playing four aside, Burns tied the game 2-2 at the 6:30 mark of the third. The goal seemed inevitable, as the ice was tilted in favour of the Sharks for long stretches.
    Way back in the first, Karlsson cemented his status in the Senators record books. His goal, coupled with an assist on Stone’s power play goal, allowed him to pass Wade Redden for the all-time scoring lead among Ottawa defencemen. Karlsson hit the 411-point mark in 506 games. It took Redden 838 games to get there.
    “Right now, not much,” Karlsson said, when asked about what the accomplishment means. “It’s fun in a way, but it’s something that you reflect back on when your career is over. Hopefully mine isn’t for a long time.”
    Karlsson, who also registered an assist on Kelly’s game winner, has seven points in his past two games.
    The Sharks came into the game red-hot, having won three straight and six of their previous seven games. They had outscored opponents 19-9 during that stretch.
    Condon was sharp at the outset to keep the game scoreless. One minute in, he robbed Joe Pavelski with an outstanding right pad save. At the 2:20 mark, he deflected a Patrick Marleau shot off the post.
    Then the Senators went to work to take a 2-0 lead. The power play goal from Stone was the Senators’ fourth in two games. Stone now has eight goals and seven assists in his past 14 games.
    After the contest, Senators coach Guy Boucher stressed the best parts of the Senators effort -- their start and finish.
    “We got that lead, and after that, we spent half the night in the penalty box and that was tough for energy and they started to wear us down,” he said.

“What I liked was our last 10 minute push in the third period, with what we had left. There was a real mental toughness moment.”

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am