Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs squander two-goal lead in third period, fall to San Jose Sharks 3-2 in shootout

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs squander two-goal lead in third period, fall to San Jose Sharks 3-2 in shootout Empty Toronto Maple Leafs squander two-goal lead in third period, fall to San Jose Sharks 3-2 in shootout

Post by jedi17 Wed 14 Dec 2016, 6:05 pm

Toronto Maple Leafs squander two-goal lead in third period, fall to San Jose Sharks 3-2 in shootout

Maple Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk falls as he chases a rebound in front of San Jose Sharks goalie Martin Jones during second-period NHL action in Toronto on Tuesday night. Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press
    TORONTO — Shutout hockey and the Maple Leafs haven’t been mentioned together for quite some time.

In fact, you’d have to flip the calendar back to last season to find a goose egg on the Leafs side of the ledger. Jonathan Bernier’s 38-save performance in a 1-0 win over Detroit on March 15 was one of three shutouts compiled by the former Leaf last campaign as Toronto put up four overall. Since then, the closest the Leafs have come is limiting the opposition to one goal on four occasions this season.
    It looked like Frederik Andersen would finally get in on the fun against the visiting San Jose Sharks on Tuesday at the Air Canada Centre and notch his first shutout as a Leaf in what was surely one of the big Dane’s finest performances in a Leafs uniform.
    But it all came unravelled with just more than seven minutes remaining in unlikely fashion, leading to a 3-2 shootout victory via shootout for San Jose.  
    Defenceman Justin Braun scored his first of the season on a backhander off a harmless rush, then Joe Pavelski tipped a Brent Burns slapper past Andersen two minutes later with Leafs defenceman Matt Hunwick in the penalty box, signalling the quick death of what was a 2-0 Leafs lead courtesy of what had been some energetic play up to that point by the hosts.
    Toronto can point to a lack of discipline as the main culprit in a game Mike Babcock and the rest of the coaching staff might have difficulty critiquing beyond a few lapses in judgment.
    The Leafs surrendered six man-advantages, none more costly than an interference call on Hunwick with the game on the line.
    “I thought we did lots of really good things. Obviously, we took too many penalties,” Babcock said. “Part of it is just not continuing to play with your foot on the gas. Tonight, obviously taking the penalties hurt us, for sure. But I was pleased with our effort.”
    Andersen finished with 40 saves and looked positionally sound throughout 65 minutes, highlighted by a leather-flasher glove save on a Couture backhand with the Leafs killing their second penalty of the game and again in the final period when he turned away Patrick Marleau at his doorstep.
    It wasn’t enough to keep Toronto from falling to 0-4 in shootouts this season en route to their third consecutive defeat at home in the midst of a season-long five-game homestand that continues on Thursday with Auston Matthews’ hometown Arizona Coyotes in town.
    “I think the third period we were waiting for them a little bit too much,” said Andersen, who came in with a sterling 5-3-1 record with a 1.89 goals-against average and .935 save percentage in his past nine starts. “It cost us. Once you get a lead in the third you’ve got to be able to close it out. We didn’t do that. (We’ve got to) be able to play harder for a full 60.”
    The game was not without controversy as Toronto had a Morgan Rielly goal waved off in the second period when it was ruled Nazem Kadri interfered with San Jose goalie Martin Jones. Babcock threw up the challenge flag, but it was in vain.
    “I wouldn’t have challenged it if I thought it was the right (call),” Babcock said.
    Added Kadri: “I’m assuming (the referee) thought I touched the goaltender, but I thought originally he just made a mistake, because things happen quickly, but then when I checked the monitor I was shocked that they called it off. What are you going to do?”
    Not to be overshadowed by the deflating loss was the play of rookie forward Zach Hyman, as well as several other youngsters who skated laps around some of the older Sharks players throughout much of the game.
    Hyman scored his fifth goal of the season, his seventh even-strength point in a nine-game span after being stuck at one goal for what seemed like an eternity. More impressive was that it came one shift after returning to the ice following a stint in the dressing room to be looked at after fearlessly blocking a hard Brent Burns shot in the game’s opening minutes. Fellow rookie Matthews had a two-point night, potting his team-leading 13th goal on a two-man advantage in the second period, while William Nylander was a buzzsaw all night.
    “We controlled most of the game, had a lot of quality scoring chances, managed the puck really well,” Kadri said. “It’s tough to have a call like that really decide the outcome. Not much you can do. I wasn’t real thrilled with the call. I think anyone who has any common sense probably knows that wasn’t a good goal. Not much you can do now.”
    Babcock earlier in the day talked about the heavy workload he expects Andersen will be asked to carry the rest of the way this regular season — the goaltender is projected to make something in the vicinity of 64 starts. If there are more showings like this one from the 27-year-old off-season acquisition, the Leafs will clearly be in good hands.
    The Leafs caught a break before the opening puck was dropped when all-world defenceman Marc-Edouard Vlasic was ruled out of the lineup, having injured himself in Saturday’s win over Carolina.

Jones improved to a perfect 5-0 in his career against Toronto, while Andersen fell to 2-7 against last year’s Stanley Cup finalists, with six of those losses coming during his Anaheim Ducks days.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:25 pm