Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs  Empty Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by jedi17 Wed 08 Feb 2017, 6:58 pm

King of the Castle: Maple Leafs aiming to pass slumping Canadiens
    February 8, 2017, 11:16 AM ET [294 Comments]
    Lucas Neilson
     Toronto Maple Leafs  Tor Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Do yourself a favor and take a quick glance at the standings in the Eastern Conference; it’s certainly a sight I could get used to seeing.

Last night the Leafs were coming off a couple high scoring affairs, winning one and losing one. Eleven goals for and against in two outings, something had to change with Dallas coming to town. Last time Toronto played Dallas we got lit up for five goals in the first period. A determined defense and a more organized offense did a better job at minimizing high end scoring chances for Dallas. The posts behind McElhinney did a good job at grabbing the attention of the Dallas shooters, so there’s that. Nylander drilled one off the iron as well so the posts had an active night at the Air Canada Center.

For the most part, it was a very stable and poised game for Maple Leafs backup McElhinney as he made a whopping 39 saves to secure a 3-1 victory over the Stars. As mentioned, the shots were not all high end scoring chances like they were the past two games; nevertheless he got the job done and most importantly two big points for the Leafs. A win on a back to back is always huge, especially as Toronto prepares to head down the stretch here when the going gets tough!

Gardiner had a fantastic game for the Leafs, scoring a goal and getting an assist on Auston Matthews 25th goal of the season and sixth game winning goal.  

I remember at the beginning of the season there was a lot of chatter about Matthews’s projected point’s total. Well with 52 games under his belt, Matthews has 44 points and could easily have a handful more. If the Leafs rookies can continue to be as effective as they have been, I have no doubt Matthews will surpass the 70 point plateau.  

The same arguments were made for Mitch Marner, except he wasn’t of age for the AHL so it was either back to the London Knights or up with the big boys.

Babcock, Shanahan and Lamoriello knew the Markham Machine had it in him. You can’t teach the smarts, vision and hands that Marner possess. It’s surely an overstatement but I feel he has that Gretzky like vision where he just knows where his teammates are. Now before the naysayers get their panties in a knot, he is no Gretzky, but he certainly has that vision like the Great One.

Now looking back at the standings, the Leafs as you can see are tied with the Senators for second place in the Atlantic. What excites me more is the thought of this team being 30th place last season and having a shot at catching the 16 wheeler (Montreal Canadiens) as they seem to be slowly fading away from the glory that took place earlier in the season.

Wouldn’t that be something else! 

The truth is, the way this season has gone after the last few; it’s been so refreshing to watch exciting, meaningful hockey. I feel not only the Toronto fans are excited for what’s to come, but even some of the other team’s fans are happy that the faithful Leafs fans finally have something to cheer for. Not all of them, I assure you that. So be sure to pick and choose who you grill when flashing the Leafs logo on your jersey after a big win.

The Leafs are 8 points back of Montreal, but have three games in hand. If Toronto can continue to score like they have been and minimize the number of goals against, I feel they have an excellent chance at making up some ground and then some.

The Leafs rookies have been out of this world in terms of game play and production. It’s actually amazing. They have produced 205 points in 52 games (81 goals, 124 assists). Toronto has rookie of the month winners in October, December and January and all different players (Nylander, Matthews, Marner). Seriously? The season is only half way done! These kids are electric.

Hyman has scored three short handed goals which is a Maple Leafs rookie record.

Nylander and Matthews both scored hat tricks as rookies which was the first time for the Maple Leafs since (1926-27). There are a number of other records to be broken as the season continues and I will keep an eye out to see if the new look Leafs are able to continue to re-write the rookie record book.

The Leafs have two games remaining this week starting with the St Louis Blues tomorrow night at the ACC. They will then have a night off and host the Sabres on Saturday. Another four points is what I see in the future of this week, with the Leafs beginning to take flight to the top of the Atlantic. It’s coming, I can feel it.

Thanks for reading, have a most glorified hump day.

Go Leafs Go!

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 8:53 am