Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Fri 24 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

Flames fall to Predators, lose ground in Pacific Division race
    March 24, 2017, 11:57 AM ET [29 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

The Calgary Flames played their second, and final, game without Matthew Tkachuk on Thursday night and the end result was the same as the first game: a two-goal road defeat.

The Flames played better in Nashville than they did against Washington but, obviously, it didn't make much of a difference.

A few notes on the game:

1) Micheal Ferland was reunited with Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan in his return to the lineup and that trio picked up right where it left off. They spent most of their shifts controlling play in the offensive zone and created chances on a consistent basis. The Flames out-chanced the Preds 13-3 at 5v5 with that trio on the ice and they were in on the team's lone goal.

2) I'm about ready to fire the Matt Bartkowski - Deryk Engelland pairing into the sun. They bring nothing to the table offensively, they are not good breaking the puck out of the zone, and they get hemmed in way too often.

The Flames won't be able to abandon the bottom pairing completely if they want to go deep into the playoffs -- the top-4 will tire out eventually -- so they're going to have to find something that works on the 3rd pairing. It's clear the Bartkowski - Engelland pairing is not the solution.

As I mentioned the other day, I'd like to see Rasmus Andersson get a shot. Heck, I think Dennis Wideman would be an upgrade on the 3rd pairing. Glen Gulutzan and his staff have to do something, though.

3) Chad Johnson has posted a sub .900 save percentage in six of his last eight starts. Getting Brian Elliott a little rest prior to the playoffs is a good thing but with the way Johnson has played of late the Flames are more or less handing points away by giving him starts.

4) It's too bad Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns are having such ridiculous seasons because Dougie Hamilton is having the type of year that would normally get him some Norris consideration. The production is there -- he's on pace for 53 points and 230 shots over 82 games -- and the Flames control 10% more of the goals and ~7% more of the shot attempts with him on the ice as opposed to without him. The guy is a beast.

5) What does it say about Curtis Lazar that he had to wait weeks to get into the lineup and is taken out after two games instead of guys like Lance Bouma and Freddie Hamilton? I know the Flames have preached Lazar was a long-term addition but the outlook probably isn't great if you're taken out of the lineup in favor of two guys who have combined for eight points in 78 games this season.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 12:58 am