Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Florida Panthers

jedi17
    jedi17

Florida Panthers Empty Florida Panthers

Post by jedi17 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

Goodbye To Shawn Thornton
    April 9, 2017, 7:32 PM ET [0 Comments]
    Dan Spiegel
    Florida Panthers Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT

Of all the seasoned veterans President of Hockey Operations Dale Tallon signed or traded for in recent years, most would look at Jaromir Jagr as the best of the bunch.

Statistically speaking, there is no question.

But for now and the future, Shawn Thornton my end up paying as big or bigger dividends.

The 20-year enforcer played his last game in the NHL Saturday night in Sunrise, a 3-0 win against Buffalo.

While he and everyone else expected his last game to be in the playoffs, Thornton ends up being one of the bright spots in this disaster of a season.

He has been the pillar of character and leadership throughout his career, and is a 2-time Stanley Cup Champion with Anaheim and Boston.

The Shawn Thornton Foundation based in Boston focuses on improving the lives of those affected by cancer and Parkinson's disease.

He unofficially has 254 fights in his career(169 NHL, 85 AHL) in a league that is squeezing so-called "goons" out of the game. Thornton brought a lot more to the table as a player than just fighting but agrees his type of game isn't a focus for most teams in the modern era.

As Craig Davis of the Sun Sentinel reported, times are changing in the NHL. According to Hockeyfights.com, there has been an average of .31 fights per game this season. The figure was more than double that in 2001-02, which saw .65 fights per game, and it was similar to that in Thornton’s early years in the league, beginning in 2002-03.

With teams going with smaller, faster players in today's NHL Thornton is one of the last of a dying breed.

But his influence lives on.

It was thought the 2-year contract Thornton signed with Florida in the summer of 2014 would be his last until he was offered another one year deal last season that he quickly accepted.

It was also thought after his time in Florida he would be heading back to Boston to get into TV. But his love of South Florida and the appreciation from the Panther organization starts a new chapter with a position in Florida management.

Surely his presence and experience will be invaluable in player development and evaluation moving forward.

For his career, he had 42 goals, 60 assists, and 1103 penalty minutes.

After an emotional goodbye and a spirited win in his last professional game, it's time for Thornton to become likely the most popular executive in the front office.

After everything he's been through and the person he is, he deserves it.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jun 2024, 1:10 pm