Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Tampa Bay Lightning

jedi17
    jedi17

Tampa Bay Lightning  Empty Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by jedi17 Fri 19 May 2017, 8:01 pm

Dealing First Round Pick is Lightning's Best Option
    May 18, 2017, 2:44 PM ET [67 Comments]
    John Gove
    Tampa Bay Lightning Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT

Although the 2016-17 NHL Regular Season was a bit of a hiccup for the Tampa Bay Lightning, the team still finds itself in "win now" mode. There is no reason that the Bolts cannot be a true contender for the Stanley Cup next season, as long as some improvements can be made to that blueline of theirs.

For this reason, it is in the best interest of the franchise to deal away the 14th overall pick in this year's NHL Entry draft.

After two consecutive years with an incredibly deep and talented draft class, 2017 appears to be a lot more on the "average" side of things. No matter who the Bolts decided to select in the first round, that prospect would need plenty of years of seasoning before he was NHL ready.

The Lightning have a roster full of talent that is ready to compete now. So although it is always important to look ahead to the future, Tampa Bay is completely focussed on the present at this point. Simply put, that 14th overall pick is not going to help the Bolts achieve their 2017-18 goal, which is winning the Stanley Cup.

Steve Yzerman needs to bring in some more NHL-ready talent this summer. Packaging his first round draft pick in a deal will definitely help improve the quality of that talent. I do not think that the pick alone will receive that great of a return, due to the lack of pizazz this year's draft has. However, you through in a Tyler Johnson and we could be talking a top-four defenseman in return.

Up to this point, I have been a firm believer that it is going to take dealing Jonathan Drouin to acquire someone who can really sure up that Lightning blueline. If the Yzerman is only interested in dealing players, then I feel that that statement remains true. However, sending the first round pick in a deal provides Tampa Bay more flexibility on who they can put in a package.

When it comes down to it, this year's draft does not help the Lightning in the here and now. Not picking in the first round this year should not be incredibly detrimental to the future of this franchise. If Tampa wants to increase their chances of success in 2017-18, dealing the pick is the clear best option.

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:43 am