Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs  Empty Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by jedi17 Thu 15 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

The importance of being patient
    June 12, 2017, 2:11 PM ET [89 Comments]
    Lucas Neilson
    Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    When the 2016/17 season got underway the Maple Leafs and their fans came into the season with absolutely zero expectations. When you finish the prior season in the gutter you can only move in one direction, up. *insert Oilers chirp here*

Game one electrified Leafs Nation and the rest of the hockey world as Matthews scored four. It looked as if the Leafs made have just won more than the lottery when they got Auston Matthews, mind you, they still managed to lose the game.

Nevertheless the Leafs continued to play decent hockey and trickled in a few points here and there until they began to pick up some momentum as the season continued on. Van Riemsdyk, Kadri, Marner, Nylander and Matthews all had no issues putting up points as they worked on their 200 foot game which of course is vital for their success playing under Mike Babcock.

Kadri’s two-way game was the best I’ve ever seen it. Digging, hitting, chirping, scoring and back checking was all a huge part of his game and he was easily one of the best pests in the league who was able to contribute heavily on the scoresheet. A lot of opposing teams players dispise Kadri, which to me shows how effective he is on the ice. Amazing what maturity, quality coaching and determination can do for a player; I expect Kadri to be very consistent going forward with his role. He sure is blossoming most beautifully under a top notch coach; you have to love how Babcock gets the best out of his players.

So what will the Leafs do this summer?

Well, that is the question every die hard Leafs fan is asking…

I’d imagine a lot of patience is used this off season, not too much though as it’s obvious there are some holes to fill on the back end and realistically the depth up front is good, but obviously could be better. The Leafs were lucky they avoided any major injuries to any of their young crop of high end talent last season and who knows what the next brings.

Free agent depth signings both upfront and on the defensive end may be wise. Obviously not huge contracts or big money as these will be players the Leafs want to plug and play with if needed. This is also ideal because no assets are given up signing a free agent and Lamoriello can use his picks and prospects for another deal if one is worthy.

It’s pretty obvious to me that some teams are going to have to make a trade or sacrifice losing a quality player to Vegas for nothing. Hopefully the Leafs can use some of these extra picks and prospects they have gathered over the last few seasons to pluck out a player that they normally wouldn’t be able to scoop up for such a low price.

For example, it makes a lot of sense that a team would rather get a second and third round pick for a player than lose them for nothing, especially if that team is in the other conference. Lamoriello and Shanahan should be looking closely at Western Conference teams that are tight against the cap, may have to give up a quality player to Vegas or a team like Colorado who may be looking to move a named player for a decent deal (Duchene comes to mind).

It may be one of those summers that a vast amount of trades happen due to the expansion, but for the Leafs sake I really hope they continue to be patient and only do what makes sense. With this management group we should have full faith as they have shown over the last couple season they mean business and haven’t made any ridiculous trades or free agent signings.

Are there any players in particular that you would like to see the Leafs gun for via trade or free agency?

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins hoisting another Stanley Cup.

Thanks for reading, enjoy your week!

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 7:50 pm