Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Trump Turns an Iowa Rally Into a Venting Session

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Trump Turns an Iowa Rally Into a Venting Session Empty Trump Turns an Iowa Rally Into a Venting Session

Post by Rocky Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 am

Trump Turns an Iowa Rally Into a Venting Session

By MAGGIE HABERMANJUNE 21, 2017

President Trump in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Wednesday. His mood was buoyant after two special elections a day earlier. Credit Stephen Crowley/The New York Times
    CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — President Trump said on Wednesday that he was crafting legislation to bar new immigrants from receiving welfare for at least five years. He announced the proposal in a conquering-hero-returns speech in Iowa, his first trip back to the political battleground state since he won it in the 2016 general election.

His mood buoyant after twin Republican wins in congressional special elections the night before, the president also revealed his anticipated plan for putting solar panels on a proposed wall on the Mexican border — an idea he boasted he had come up with himself.

And he — mostly — managed to avoid raising the topic he struggles to stop talking about: the investigations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and possible collusion with his campaign.

“They have phony witch hunts going against me,” Mr. Trump said nearly an hour into a speech that veered off script repeatedly. “All we do is win, win, win. We won last night.”

Continue reading the main story
    The Trump White House
    The historic moments, head-spinning developments and inside-the-White House intrigue.
    U.S. Pressed to Pursue Deal to Freeze North Korea Missile Tests
    JUN 21
    Abortion Adds Obstacle as Republicans Plan to Unveil Health Bill
    JUN 21
    Trump’s Preferred Candidate Wins Again, This Time in Saudi Arabia
    JUN 21
    Softball Brings Washington Together Again, for a Night
    JUN 21
    White House Tries to Get G.O.P. to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill
    JUN 21
    See More »

The rally, Mr. Trump’s first since the end of April, served as a venting session for a pent-up president who has stewed and brooded from inside the gilded cage of the White House over attacks from investigators, Democrats and the news media, his interview schedule drastically pared down and his aides imploring him to stay off Twitter.

Style-heavy and substance-light, the speech went over an hour: an epic version of the fact-challenged, meandering and, even for his detractors, mesmerizing speeches he gave during his upstart presidential campaign.

Mr. Trump gave few details about his plan for the solar panels, beyond that it creates “energy and pays for itself,” or about his coming proposal to greatly curtail welfare for new immigrants — including how it would differ from existing laws that do just that. He called it a “total rewrite of our immigration system into a merit-based system,” words consistent with the public tone he has struck on immigration restrictions.

The president, whose approval rating is mired below 40 percent, told the crowd of roughly 6,000 people at the U.S. Cellular Center that he was thrilled to be out of the “Washington swamp.”

He barely reacted to whistle-blowing protesters who interrupted him within the first five minutes of the speech, when he was honoring Representative Steve Scalise, the Republican House whip, who was shot during a baseball practice last week and now faces a long rehabilitation. “Never fails,” Mr. Trump said as the protesters were led out.

Free from his handlers for roughly 70 minutes, Mr. Trump described his administration as he wished it to be: one in which he had made historic governing accomplishments and been stymied solely by the “resistance.”

“I think health care is going to happen, and infrastructure is going to happen, and I look forward to being able to produce it,” he said.

He derided trade deals despite an Iowa economy that relies in part on exports. He denounced the $6 trillion spent and the lives lost in the Middle East over the last 15 years, despite his administration’s decision to reauthorize troops in Afghanistan.

He toggled back and forth between telling farm-rich Iowa that he had fought for forgotten voters and lauding the wealth of Gary D. Cohn, his top economic adviser and a former executive at Goldman Sachs, the Wall Street giant that Mr. Trump derided in commercials in 2016.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/politics/trump-iowa-rally-venting-session.html

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am