Arab and international Since 2017-07-13 at 17:17 (Baghdad time)
Follow Mawazine News
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson left the Gulf on Thursday after a tour of Gulf Arab states aimed at easing the worst regional dispute in years but did not comment on whether the tour made any progress in resolving the crisis that has been going on for more than a month.
Tillerson declined to ask questions after a meeting with Qatar's emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani to discuss a row between Doha and four Arab states that broke ties with it on June 5 over alleged funding for extremist groups and its alliance with Iran. Qatar denies this.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani, brother of the emir of Qatar, said at the Doha airport that he hoped to see him again in better conditions.
Tillerson left Saudi Arabia on Wednesday after talks with ministers from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, the four countries that imposed a travel ban and trade sanctions on Qatar.
Tillerson had earlier signed a US-Qatari deal on financing terrorism in a bid to help ease the crisis but Qatar's opponents said the move was not enough to calm their fears.
"No waiver of the 13 demands," the UAE-based newspaper al-Ittihad wrote in a front-page headline, referring to the list of demands submitted by the four countries to Qatar.