Egypt withdraws from "Arab NATO" directed against Iran[/rtl]
[rtl]Date of release: 2019/4/11 9:16 • 305 times prescribed[/rtl]
(Reuters) - Egypt has pulled out of US efforts to form a "NATO-Arab" NATO-style alliance with key Arab allies in a blow to the administration of President Donald Trump to contain Iran's influence, four well-informed sources told Reuters.
Egypt has informed its decision to the United States and other parties involved in the proposed Middle East security alliance before a meeting on Sunday in Riyadh, a source said.
He added that Cairo did not send a delegation to the meeting, the latest in a bid to give impetus to US-led efforts to bring together Arab allies in a security, political and economic treaty against Iran.
An Arab source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Egypt had withdrawn to question the seriousness of the initiative. It has yet to see a preliminary plan that would define the alliance's features and that a plan would risk increasing tension with Iran.
The Arab source said that the uncertainty surrounding whether President Trump will win a second term next year and the possibility that his successor will abandon the initiative, two factors contributed to Egypt's decision.
"It is not going as it should," a Saudi source said.
According to a confidential White House document seen by Reuters last year, the initiative, first proposed by Saudi Arabia in 2017, also aims to reduce Russia and China's growing influence in the region.
In addition to the United States and Saudi Arabia includes security alliance in the Middle East, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and Jordan