Pyongyang: Time is running out after American "vile"[/rtl]
[rtl]Release date: 2019/6/27 8:39 • 135 times read[/rtl]
(Reuters) - The United States must take action to present a new strategy for resuming nuclear disarmament talks, a North Korean diplomat said on Thursday, warning that time runs out before Pyongyang's deadline by the end of the year.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said after the collapse of his second summit with US President Donald Trump in February that a third summit could not be held unless Washington adopted a more flexible approach. Kim said he would wait until the end of the year.
South Korean President Mon Jie-nen said the United States was in secret talks with North Korea on a third summit and proposed resuming talks at the working level.
Trump announced Wednesday that he would not meet with the North Korean leader during his visit to Asia to attend the Group of Twenty summit hosted by Japan this week, which includes a visit to South Korea.
The United States has recently talked about the dialogue while "doing nasty acts of hostility," said Kun Jung-Jun, director of US affairs at the Foreign Ministry of North Korea.
He did not give details, but a State Department spokesman said Wednesday that the United States extended sanctions on North Korea as a hostile act and a clear defiance of the first summit between Kim and Trump held in Singapore last year.
"Dialogue will not happen by itself when the United States does not act with a realistic approach that serves the interests of both sides and talks about resuming talks like a parrot," Koon said in a statement carried by the North Korean Central News Agency.
"The United States has little time to achieve results."
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that the recent exchange of letters between Trump and Kim had raised hopes for a resumption of talks, calling it "a very realistic prospect".