Washington calls on Pyongyang to resume negotiations .. and warns it[/rtl]
[rtl]Date: 2019/11/21 9:08 • 63 times read[/rtl]
US special envoy for North Korea, Stephen Pigeon, on Wednesday called on Pyongyang to resume negotiations on its nuclear disarmament at a higher level than it is now, warning that it may "miss the opportunity."
"There is no concrete or verifiable evidence that North Korea has made the option of denuclearization," said Pigeon, who was chosen as deputy secretary of state.
"But we still believe that Pyongyang can make that choice," the diplomat told a congressional committee that was to approve his appointment.
US President Donald Trump has chosen Pigeon for the post of deputy secretary of state, while also retaining the arduous task of restarting Pyongyang's nuclear disarmament negotiations.
Pegon said the negotiations could make progress if North Korea's Deputy Foreign Minister Choi Sun-hui participated directly. Towards serious. "
Begon noted that the success of the negotiations is still possible, but North Korea must "seize this opportunity."
North Korea said on Monday it was "no longer interested" in holding summits with the United States unless Washington made new concessions in its nuclear negotiations, hours after Trump hinted at a summit.
"You have to move quickly to reach an agreement. See you soon," Trump wrote on Twitter, telling the North Korean leader.
Kim and Trump have met three times since June last year.
Pyongyang has set a deadline for Washington to make a new offer at the end of the year.