by Elizabeth Renter
June 2nd, 2014
Updated 06/02/2014 at 12:59 am
While putting solar energy panels in your home might be a long term goal, it’s hardly an easy approach to being more earth-friendly, or green. It’s major life changes like this that keep many people from taking small steps towards more sustainable living, believing that it’s just too hard. But living a green lifestyle doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive.
Here are 26 tips for greening up your life.
- 1. Recycle at home, when you’re on the go, and any chance you have.
- 2. When it’s time to replace an appliance, choose one that’s more energy efficient.
- 3. Reuse plastic grocery bags in garbage cans or as easy totes for carrying things to and from the car.
- 4. Rather than throwing everything away, donate, hold a yard sale, or use Craigslist to get rid of things you no longer use.
- 5. Wash clothing in cold water instead of hot water.
Read: Many ‘Green’ Products are Actually Deceptive and Toxic
- 6. Buy reusable water bottles and stop purchasing cases upon cases of plastic water bottles.
- 7. Support local farmers by frequenting a local farmer’s market.
- 8. Opt for paperless billing and pay your bills online.
- 9. Carpool to work.
- 10. Use old newspapers in the garden to control weeds or to wrap fragile items.
- 11. Plant a garden to be more self-sustainable.
- 12. Start composting.
- 13. Learn food perseveration techniques.
- 14. Fix leaky faucets in your home.
- 15. Buy organic to support organic growers.
- 16. Have receipts emailed to you when given the option.
- 17. Spend more time in nature and less time “plugged in”.
- 18. Turn down your air conditioning and heat.
- 19. Shut down your computer completely when not in use – or at least put it to sleep.
- 20. When it’s time to replace your car, consider a hybrid or electric, depending on how much you drive.
- 21. Use cloth napkins instead of paper.
- 22. Use eco-friendly cleaning supplies like baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- 23. Buy houseplants to clean up the air inside your home.
- 24. Use dryer lint as fire starters or give it to the birds outside for nest building.
- 25. Take your own cup to the coffee shop.
- 26. If you’re not ready to go vegetarian, consider lightening up on your meat consumption.
Being eco-conscious doesn’t require a lot of money or major life changes. But these small adjustments can truly add up.
Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/26-easy-ways-green/#ixzz33WHgvHAZ