[size=36]The New York Times: Saudi Arabia and Iran have agreed to continue their talks in Baghdad[/size]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The American "New York Times" quoted several informed sources as saying that Saudi Arabia and Iran had agreed to continue their talks in Baghdad in May, as the kingdom confirmed that it would "seize any opportunity" to promote peace.
Multiple sources confirmed to Western media that on April 9, delegations from the two countries held talks in Baghdad under the auspices of the Iraqi Prime Minister, Mustafa Al-Kazemi, on issues of Iranian-backed Iraqi forces, the Yemen war, and the Lebanon file.
The "New York Times" said in a report published on Saturday that two Iranian officials and two other Iraqis assured her that the talks were attended by the director of Saudi intelligence, Khaled Al-Humaidan, and the deputy secretary of the Iranian Supreme Security Council, Saeed Arafani.
The officials said the two sides agreed to continue the talks in Baghdad during May, and possibly at the ambassadorial level.
The newspaper reported that the Saudi government sent a statement to it, in response to a request for comment on the matter, stating that the Kingdom "will take any opportunity to contribute to the promotion of peace and stability in the region" on the condition that Iran shows "goodwill while ceasing its malicious activities."
There is great tension between Saudi Arabia and Iran due to many sharp differences, especially the war in Yemen and the January 2, 2016 attacks on the Riyadh embassy in Tehran and the Saudi consulate in Mashhad, after the Kingdom's authorities carried out the death sentence against 47 people in terrorism cases, including the prominent Shiite cleric, Nimr al-Nimr.
There have been no formal diplomatic relations between Tehran and Riyadh since 2016, but in recent weeks there has been an exchange of messages about their desire to settle differences.
And the Saudi Crown Prince, Prince Mohammed bin Salman, previously confirmed in an interview broadcast by the official media in the country on the evening of April 27, that the Kingdom aspires to establish a "good" relationship with Iran as a neighboring country and wants to be "prosperous", but there are "problems." Between the two parties, Saudi Arabia is working with its partners to solve it.
"Our problem is Iran's negative behavior, whether through its nuclear program or its support for outlaw militias in some countries in the region or its ballistic missile program," Mohammed bin Salman said.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said in a statement commenting on bin Salman's statements that Iran welcomes the kingdom's change of tone.