Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

The United Nations condemns the "retreat" of freedom of expression in the Kurdistan region of Iraq

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

The United Nations condemns the "retreat" of freedom of expression in the Kurdistan region of Iraq Empty The United Nations condemns the "retreat" of freedom of expression in the Kurdistan region of Iraq

Post by Rocky Wed 12 May 2021, 2:53 pm

The United Nations condemns the "retreat" of freedom of expression in the Kurdistan region of Iraq
    [size=11]Posted: 12.05.2021 | 19:17 GMT |[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/size]

The United Nations has condemned the "review" of freedom of expression in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, and confirmed that it has documented operations of "intimidation, threats and attacks on journalists and human rights activists."
    The organization issued a report documenting during the period between March 2020 and April 2021, "33 cases of arbitrary detention of journalists, activists and human rights defenders, without providing them with information on the reasons for the arrest and without informing their families in a timely manner of their whereabouts, according to the report."
    She stated in the report: "Among these were those who were eventually released, but in at least two documented cases, charges were brought against journalists and human rights defenders, released on bail, and then immediately re-arrested on various charges."
    The report comes about a week after a court of appeals in Iraqi Kurdistan confirmed six-year prison terms for three journalists and activists, on charges of "inciting demonstrations against the government and destabilizing stability in the region", during the protests in 2020, to demand salaries for government employees in the region, and accused them of " Espionage. "
    Although the Kurdistan region of Iraq is considered a "safe" haven for journalists and activists fleeing Baghdad and southern cities due to the conditions there, it is witnessing harassment operations against some activists and journalists.

Source: "Reuters" + RT
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Thu 18 Apr 2024, 11:16 pm