Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

"Drought" threatens food security...and expectations of a decline in Iraqis' income

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

food - "Drought" threatens food security...and expectations of a decline in Iraqis' income Empty "Drought" threatens food security...and expectations of a decline in Iraqis' income

Post by Rocky Tue 25 Oct 2022, 5:09 am

POSTED ON[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BY [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=52]"Drought" threatens food security...and expectations of a decline in Iraqis' income[/size]

[size=45]Translation: run[/size]
    [size=45]A European institute called on the international community to help Iraq obtain its water quotas, at a time when expectations indicate that the country will face a threat to its food security as the drought continues.[/size]
    [size=45]A report for the (Relief Web) news website, translated by Al-Mada, stated that "agricultural communities in Iraq witnessed a decline in wheat, vegetable and fruit crops for the second year in a row due to severe drought conditions."[/size]
    [size=45]"Families across the country will be increasingly vulnerable to income erosion and challenges in obtaining adequate food," the report continued.[/size]
    [size=45]He pointed out that "a quarter of the (1,341) families surveyed by the Norwegian Refugee Council in five governorates this year, recorded losses in the wheat crop due to lack of water."[/size]
    [size=45]And the report indicated that "25 percent of other households said that they did not achieve additional profits from their wheat crop over a whole year."[/size]
    [size=45]He stressed that "the long periods of drought have forced a quarter of agricultural families to rely on food aid, amid a lack of harvest."[/size]
    [size=45]"The country is witnessing the continuing damage caused by the climate and water crisis in Iraq," said James Moon, director of the Norwegian Refugee Council in Iraq.[/size]
    [size=45]Moon added, "People are noticing that their fertile lands and crops are fading year after year, so that the lands are drying up very quickly."[/size]
    [size=45]The report stressed that "the climate crisis and water scarcity are leading to disaster for regions that have long relied on agriculture as a major source of income and livelihood."[/size]
    [size=45]And he finds, "The continuation of the current drought conditions and their negative impact on agricultural crops, will push many residents of agricultural communities in Iraq to leave their lands towards the cities in search of alternative sources of income."[/size]
    [size=45]The report pointed out that "the Norwegian Council documented, for the second year in a row, the impact of the water and climate crisis in Iraq on farmers."[/size]
    [size=45]He stated, "One out of every three families had to reduce their cultivated areas due to drought, and this led to significant losses in crops and a decline in the level of income."[/size]
    [size=45]The report stated that "four out of ten families harvested less wheat, barley, fruits and vegetables than last year."[/size]
    [size=45]He stressed, "The drought crisis in Iraq has worsened in recent years due to the record drop in rainfall and high temperatures as a result of climate changes."[/size]
    [size=45]The report continued, "These conditions came in conjunction with a decrease in the flow of rivers from Iraq's neighboring countries, as well as a lack of investment and water management at the national level, which led to a deterioration in water quality and quantity."[/size]
    [size=45]He noted that "the Norwegian Refugee Council conducted interviews with people who said that they or their relatives had to leave their lands as a result of this situation."[/size]
    [size=45]The report pointed out that "a third of those surveyed spoke of social tensions due to competition for water resources."[/size]
    [size=45]James Moon returns to demand "the realization that life and livelihoods are damaged every day; Because of the climate and water crisis, this requires intensifying national and international efforts.”[/size]
    [size=45]The report continued, "4% of those surveyed were forced to move to other places as drought conditions worsened."[/size]
    [size=45]The farmer, Tayseer, says, "I am thinking of leaving my land, which is located in the Hawija district of the Kirkuk governorate, with increased expectations of great losses that will affect my income."[/size]
    [size=45]Tayseer added, "My seasonal income was 10 million dinars, but this year I got only two million dinars; Because I could only cultivate half of my land; So I only got half the output I was getting.”[/size]
    [size=45]Tayseer pointed out, "The persistence of the drought will push me to search for another job, as I will not be able to cultivate my land."[/size]
    [size=45]Tayseer pointed out that "10 families in the same area left their lands, as they were unable to dig wells to water the crops."[/size]
    [size=45]The report stressed that "the Norwegian Refugee Council urges the international community to help Iraq adapt to climatic changes, and to intensify diplomatic efforts to ensure the flow of cross-border regional waters into the Tigris and Euphrates rivers."[/size]
    [size=45]And the report went on, "The Iraqi government should increase investment in water management and infrastructure development to improve the quantity and quality of water for agricultural communities and improve their livelihoods in the future."[/size]
    [size=45]About: (Relief Web) news site[/size]
    [size=45][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 5:07 am